Author Topic: low compression on cylinder 4  (Read 1811 times)

Offline liam

• Members
low compression on cylinder 4
« on: June 25, 2010, 07:24:01 pm »
shit, shit, shit, looks like my head gasket has gone when i did a test on cylinder 4 it only got to just under 8 bar and the spark plug looked a bit melted, all the rest were at 10 bar,
i`m having it all sorted asap,
but since i`ve had it back from mja engineering after having the engine checked and cleaned for damage from my blown charger ive done no happy miles in my car she has always ran hot since getting her back.

ive never suffered with overheating before i had my engine stripped and inspected so its leading me to beleive that this is the main cause of my problem, maybe the new head gasket was faulty in the first place? or the engine was`nt put back together properly.

the only thing i hav`nt changed yet is the rad everything else is new from vw.

what do you guys think, did the gasket go because something else wasnt working properly, or was it gone in the first place and all other coolant componants are fine,

any help much appreciated, thanks,liam.

Offline g40Ross

• Members
Re: low compression on cylinder 4
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 09:03:21 pm »
your gasket may have just not sealed properly!

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 01:13:15 am »
Did they use new headbolts?

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 10:50:57 am »
get your injectors checked mate, might be running a tad lean.

Offline liam

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 07:50:13 pm »
yeah new head bolts were used, new head gasket, new cambelt,

my g60 injectors were reconditioned about 2000 miles ago, surely they should be ok, wouldnt they?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 08:29:27 pm »
were they flow tested when you had them cleaned?  was it yoof that did them (if so then he'll have flow tested them).

Offline liam

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 11:05:10 pm »
i cant remember now, i think i bought them off ebay,

can someone explain how an injector thats running a bit lean could cause the car to over heat and blow the head gasket,

is there a company who can check my injectors out i would ask yoof but i want it done this week because me and my g40 are going to the bvf and i know how busy they can be at ppp

thanks, Liam.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 03:29:03 pm »
can someone explain how an injector thats running a bit lean could cause the car to over heat and blow the head gasket,

well if it's running lean, and I'm only really guessing, you need to get it hooked up to a wide band lambda or at least a gas analyser to really see.  But a lean running engine will overheat and that can damage the head gasket.  If a cylinder has got hot enough to melt a spark plug then it can easily melt the fire-rings on the headgasket.  Lucky it's not melted a piston really.  I'd get the injectors properly flow tested before trying to use them again.

Offline liam

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 05:03:41 pm »
right then, im having the head gasket changed tomorrow,

can any one help with flow testing my injectors before the bvf.

ill be well pissed if my polo dont make that show, ive been going with my dad since god knows when and it would be nice to have a car of  my own up there