Author Topic: urgent!!!! helppppp  (Read 3187 times)

Offline gti jack

• Members
urgent!!!! helppppp
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:33:52 pm »
the brakes on my g40 are shit, it has tarox grooved and drilled discs with goodridge hoses, ive taken the pads out and there ebc and the pad has come away from the backing plate!!!!!!!!!! :o how dangerous that is IS just unbelivable! and its happend to 3 of my friends who used ebc too!!!!
the problem is that the pads ive taken out are both the same shape (if that makes sense) when the g40 ones are a differnt shape for the rear side and the front side. the previous owner said it could have mk2 golf gti 8v brakes on it, but looking about even the golf ones are differnt! ive got no brakes! please help!

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:48:44 pm by gti jack »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: urgent!!!! helppppp
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:40:08 pm »
golf mk2 gti  8v (vw11 calipers)  and mk1 golf gti and g40 are all the same calipers discs and pads.

It maybe you have audi brakes - which use 256mm discs and pads from a late 16v golf mk2 gti.

do the pads have little springs on top? or are they separate type shims?

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 10:01:44 pm »
They should be slighty different shapes, even on the golfs. I put the 'slimmer' looking pad on the outside of the caliper and the 'chunkier' looking pad against the piston pot.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 10:06:49 pm »
agreed - i have seen pads on golfs with two of the same pad - should all work mind

Offline gti jack

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 10:13:15 pm »
well ive seen some that are same shape but the rear pad has a smaller pad but the plate is the same size so they should work, fuck knows whats going on tho :o ???

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 10:47:45 pm »
well ive seen some that are same shape but the rear pad has a smaller pad but the plate is the same size so they should work, fuck knows whats going on tho :o ???

That will be some 'tard who has fitted them as they fell out of the box ::) They will physically fit either way, but you won't have even braking on each side of the car if you put like with like in the carriers.

Offline gti jack

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 06:41:49 pm »
well ive got some ferodo ones after the parts guy at work (vw) spent ages checking pictures of pads for all golf mk2's lol, the pads wich were on the car were compleatly wrong, i now have the right ones and im going to spend tomoz fitting them and painting my calipers a nice gloss black and put some new fluid in
cheers guys  ;D

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 06:47:47 pm »
hmm - should've just siad you wanted g40 ones!!!

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 09:30:08 am »
...G40's don't exist according to VW Parkway Derby Parts Desk ::)... his computer would only show a 3F (GT) engine and was insistant he was right, til I showed him the engine in the car parked outside... Moron ::)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 11:06:58 am »
lol  barnsley parts desk are brilliant.. always helpful - and they'll even say 'oooff thats expensive, have you tried gsf!?'

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 01:27:23 pm »
my favourite line from my local dealers is,

" if you would just like to stick your arm in the guilotine on the end there sir"
 instead of stick your card in the machine at the end there sir - quality