Author Topic: Silly turbo question  (Read 4541 times)

juan

Silly turbo question
« on: August 07, 2008, 07:53:18 pm »
Hi,

this may seem silly but i have to ask, i was just wondering would it be possible to twin turbo a g40 with two smaller turbos designed for say a 650cc  motorcycle?

like a mitsubishi TD04S-9G-3

In theory this should work if you have two small turbos spooling up to create the same amount of boost as a bigger turbo but quicker?? or am i wrong?

Are there any elements of the g40 engine design/ setup that wouldnt agree with this?

Please tell me if im being stupid and day dream or if this is possible :) :)

Offline ade

• Members
Re: Silly turbo question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 08:45:37 pm »
do this with one   ;)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 08:47:03 pm by ade »

juan

Re: Re: Silly turbo question
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 08:59:24 pm »
What engine is that???

This is sort of what i meant by two turbo like the nissan skyline twin turbo which uses a paralell turbo system:

It should in theory work with a g40 engine providing i use the right turbos??

Cheers,

Juan

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Silly turbo question
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 10:04:42 pm »
I don't really see the point, it would be a lot of work and you'd struggle for space, not just for the two turbos but all the pipework that would be involved.  A K03 from a 1.8 20vT passat spools up as fast as you could want, next to no lag.

If you were going to do it then sequential turbos would be more interesting.  That is one small turbo to produce boost low down the rev range and then a bigger one which start making boost as the small one is reaching it's max flow.  But again, it's going to be a hell of a lot of work for little gains.  Yet another option is using a bigger turbo and nitrous off boost to overcome the lag.

juan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Silly turbo question
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 10:32:20 pm »
can anyone say lancia delta s4 ( well not two turbos but still twin charged) :) :) :) :)

Yep in hindsight it would cost lots of money, be complicated and produce little if any gain.

Cant wait till someone does a 1.4 twin charged conversion on something the the golf tsi engine :)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Silly turbo question
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 10:55:18 pm »
Yeah I know plenty of cars have used twin charging in the past but I don't think it's worthwhile on a g40 engine when a £50 K03 will work fine with extremely low lag.

To be fair, the S4 was in the 80s when turbo technology was nothing like as advanced as they are now.  Back then road turbo cars had quite a lot of lag.  

It's also popular on V-engines but that's generally more to do with the fact that it's very difficult to position a single turbo on such an engine without either having on top of the engine or an insanely complicated exhaust manifold.

If you've got loads of money burning a hole in your pocket then go with the sequential turbo idea, it would be fucking cool to see!

juan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Silly turbo question
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 11:43:45 am »
take a look at this beast, a rotrex supercharger but with a twin speed gearbox whacked on it, maybe this is the answer to lag as in theory it would have low down power then switch to the second gear and have high power/more displacement.

lol maybe this is fake but hopefully not :)

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Silly turbo question
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 09:12:28 pm »
[quote pid=3105 author=ade date=1218138337]do this with one   ;)

[/quote]

It seems like it's a mitsubishi lancer evo cylinderhead with 4 tiny turbos!!!