Author Topic: cup car lsd,s  (Read 1731 times)

Offline poloeatonm45

• Members
cup car lsd,s
« on: June 14, 2010, 10:31:57 pm »
hi i have a lsd in my g40 and i believe its one that they used to use in the cup cars.  Was it gemini phase1 plate type i think. now when i stear is it supposed to click all the time? i thought it was the plates in the diff  and  it has always done it but it  just got me thinking today as i took the car for an mot and the guy their mentioned it to me and said he was not sure if it was supposed to do it. anyone know if thats what they do? or should it be quiet all the time

thanks in advance
steven

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
Re: cup car lsd,s
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:31:27 pm »
I've no experience with plate diffs, but are you sure it's the diff making the noise? Clicking when steering usually means a cv joint is on it's way out.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:30:52 am »
I used to have a gemini phase one until this happened to it (now have a gripper instead which is a stronger design):

anyway, yes they will chatter when doing low speed maneuvers.  That's normal for a plate diff.  It can vary depending on what oil you use and different diffs seem to prefer different oils.  I always used Fuchs/Silkolene BOA90LS in my Gemini and it seemed fine with it.  However, my Gripper was very noisey with that oil and prefers Morris XFS 80/140.  Just make sure you are using proper LSD oil which has friction modifiers in it, don't use normal gear oil.

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 12:50:17 pm »
can you not repair that hayesey?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 01:06:42 pm »
I doubt it, unless I can find a replacement plate.  I don't think there is enough metal there to get a strong weld, I reckon it'd just break again.  I've got a gripper now anyway.  If I ever find spares for this gemini then I'll build this back up and put it in my spare box.

Offline poloeatonm45

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 08:45:30 pm »
thanks for the info hayesey i knew i could count on you for an informed reply.