Author Topic: Oil Leak  (Read 2354 times)

Offline ModeC

• Members
Oil Leak
« on: May 13, 2011, 10:39:47 pm »
This is connected with a thread I have on the "supercharger" section of the forum.

The story so far. Last I used my standard G40 it developed a serious oil leak which saw a car topped up to the full mark lose all its oil bar enough so that the low oil pressure light and buzzer did not activate. It barely ever needed topping up between changes.

Finger of blame is pointed at crank seal or supercharger or breather system.

I am struggling with the supercharger and the breather system unless somebody here is able to tell me otherwise, the leak seems too large. The car was shut down running perfect, I would not have found out had it not been for the smell of burning where the oil came into contact with the hot bits. It does not look like its pushed any oil out of the dip stick.

Does anybody know if the crankseal is built into the oil pump? My money is still on this being the culprit. Cambelt is due a change so I have told the garage to have a poke around whilst its off.

All thoughts/answers welcomed on this one.

Tom

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Oil Leak
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 11:13:46 pm »
there are two crank seals - one on each end of the crankcase - one under the timing belt and one behind the gearbox.

You'll find they have a normal ring seal and a paper seal.  Could be either.

The timing belt end one i've seen go (the paper gasket). Bit of a shit job as its cambelt off time, along with the main timing belt pulley (which are on tight, and a stretch bolt so need replacing too) with little clearance in situ.

Pete

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:39:46 am »
The one that pete mentioned at the timing end was my oil leak. Have you had a look around that area? Mine wasn't easy to spot as it was slow but i did loose oil, not as quick as your experiencing though. Its probably worth changing that while the cam belt is being changed, makes it easier to do and cheaper.

Offline ModeC

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 03:23:45 pm »
Yeah sorry did not say where the leak was! It is the cambelt end. So the paper one is a suspect by the sounds of it. The problem is that whatever is doing it the belts alround there are making it hard to it figure out! Certainly when I took a peek behind the cambelt cover the cambelt itself was dry with no obvious signs of oil.

Who knows maybe it is the supercharger.

Hmmmm really want to have a look, but cant till Monday!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 10:19:32 am »
I bet changing the gasket will solve the problem. Its worth doing still.

Offline ModeC

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 02:15:09 pm »
I have just been down to the garage had a look. I have a few more questions. Charger has been taken off, probably for the first time in the cars life! I am not sure if there is an oil seal gone in it or not. There is a small pool of oil in the elbow of the intercooler pipe, other than that everything else appears normal. Its off to be rebuilt anyways so not too worried about that, but would not mind knowing if this is usual.

They are about to take the cambelt off, but the timeing is off by one tooth. Is there any reason for this? I cant think of one! it was VW who last did the belt, so we are wondering why it was setup this way?! It is a totally standard car as far as I am aware. The garage are perplexed and have no reference materials on the g40. It has always produced good power, good turn of speed and runs sweet as, starts no problem. But I have no yard stick as this is the only g40 I have ever driven!

Tom

Offline dom101

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 03:42:14 pm »
i have the same il leak but one by the end of the timing belt and the other is on the end of the superchargers cooler, what is the problem, im  not losing alto of oil, jut you cna see two small puddles everywhere i park.

cheers

Offline jooshy63

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 11:59:54 am »
i have the same il leak but one by the end of the timing belt and the other is on the end of the superchargers cooler, what is the problem, im  not losing alto of oil, jut you cna see two small puddles everywhere i park.

cheers

I have exactly the same problem, the one by the charger could possibly be the banjo bolt, as I've found out. Start the car and check around the charger for any oil leaking from the feeds.