Author Topic: 100k parts to replace  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
100k parts to replace
« on: May 01, 2010, 05:14:37 pm »
I have just gone over the 100k mark now and was thinking about replacing a few things.

This is what im thinking of replacing

Cam belt
Water pump
Oil pump and chain
Head Gaskets
Lambda sensor
Fuel pumps x 2

Oil change gets done every 5k and fuel filter has been done few miles ago.

Is there anything else anyone can think of thats worth replacing?

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
Re: 100k parts to replace
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 06:05:20 pm »
A change of transmission oil, ultrasonic cleaning of fuel injectors and change any remaining original suspension bushes.
Definately change those fuel pumps as you already mentioned.
There are lots of other bits that may or may not have been changed in the past. Worth checking the condition of the steel brake lines, reverse flushing the cooling system and radiator inc. heater matrix.
If you gonna change the head gaskets, the oil pump and chain etc, it might be worth making things a bit easier for yourself by pulling the engine and box out. You can then give the engine and bay a good clean and check the wiring loom for any damage or poor connections. It might seem a lot of work but it's so much easier to inspect everything this way.
Good luck with it Jezza.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 06:41:32 pm »
Yeah it might be that way. I got a lader and toothed kit to go on as well as a few other bits so it will probably be easier that way.

I had a new gearbox put on last year so the fluid will be ok in there for now, might do it anyway.
Got new injectors waiting to go in.
Once i get my subframe and suspension i will change all the bushes then.
Radiator was re-newed fluid but i wanna do it properly and give it a good flush.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 06:48:07 pm »
I wouldnt do the headgasket unless it needed it or unless the head needed a rebuild because of poor compression or something. If it aint broke.....

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 07:01:58 pm »
Roger!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 08:58:33 pm »
yeah I agree, head gasket isn't a service part, just replace it when it goes.

I'd replace the brake fluid too.

Shouldn't be anything wrong with the oil pump at 100k, it's not exactly high mileage for one of these engines.  You can drop the sump and check the play in the oil pump if you are worried about it, haynes manual shows how.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 09:20:13 pm »
Hmm I disagree with not doing the head gasket.  If you can afford to do it and do it properly then why not? I know it's not a serviceable item but it will only go eventually and since you may be changing other stuff at the same time you may as well give it a shot and do it at the same time.  Plus if you wait till it goes you may damage the head and need a skim.  Ive changed the head gasket twice on mine once at 100k and once around 50k both for peace of mind and both times I didn't have the head skimmed because the head was always Okay.  If you leave it too long and it over heats and warps then  you may wish you'd done it when the water pump and belt was off etc.  I did mine with new cam seal, rocker gasket, plugs, valve stem oil seals, Oil filter, air filter, water pump, timing belt, oil, coolant, dizzy cap, rotor arm, leads and head bolts.  Maybe other things too.  I think it depends on what kind of person you are, I'm quite obsessive and will always think 'well that's off I'll change that...then that...and that'  Some people are more 'if it ain't broken....'

Each to their own but my view is, if you can afford it, have time, ability and want to ensure further miles until the next strip down, go for it. 

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 10:11:24 pm »
well, it's up to you. Just seems like throwing money away to me ;)

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 10:10:13 am »
my oil pump to my knowlage is the original and its over the 200k mark. when i was in the guts of it last year i checked the chain for wear but didnt find any. i have another to put in next year but hoping to hit  250Kbefore she goes off road for winter

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 05:15:57 pm »
Ok so really just for now its worth doing

Cam belt
Water pump
Lambda sensor
Fuel pumps x 2