Author Topic: Charger efficiency?  (Read 3484 times)

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
Charger efficiency?
« on: March 16, 2010, 06:33:15 pm »
I know the G-lader is more efficient then an eaton ect.
how does the G60's rate against a G40's efficiency?
As in, if i had a G60 charger and ran a pully that would push about 1 bar of boost (same as what my 40's doing atm) would it be more efficient? use less fuel?

just a query.

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Charger efficiency?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 06:42:55 pm »
If you wanted a torquey cruising type engine and not a racey one then in theory it would be very slightly more efficient, the problem is that the G60 chargers don't like the revvy characteristics of the 1.3 engine, and can suffer with the more rapid changes in RPM.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 06:58:43 pm »
If you wanted a torquey cruising type engine and not a racey one then in theory it would be very slightly more efficient, the problem is that the G60 chargers don't like the revvy characteristics of the 1.3 engine, and can suffer with the more rapid changes in RPM.

I've heard this, dont know the figures but surely to get 1 bar a smaller than standard pully would be needed? could that not counteract this?

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 08:46:50 am »
Basically the G60 charger has a wider case and scoll, and the extra depth on the scroll vanes means that there in a greater moment loading on the vane, which is fine in the case of the relavently lazy reving 1.8 engine, but the characterisitics of a tuned 1.3 means reasonably swift changes in RPM plus higher rev's meant that the vanes are more prone to failure, thats if the torque doesn't rip the gearbox out first ;D

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 09:41:23 am »
Basically the G60 charger has a wider case and scoll, and the extra depth on the scroll vanes means that there in a greater moment loading on the vane, which is fine in the case of the relavently lazy reving 1.8 engine, but the characterisitics of a tuned 1.3 means reasonably swift changes in RPM plus higher rev's meant that the vanes are more prone to failure, thats if the torque doesn't rip the gearbox out first ;D

is that when just the force on the scroll just breaks it cause its accelerating so fast?

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 07:14:15 pm »
I've seen a few G60 chargers that have failed that way yes

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 12:23:48 am »
I've seen a few G60 chargers that have failed that way yes

oh...! never mind then - was just wondering for a max power / economy setup. guess its turbo.... cant complain with a consistent 30-33 mpg though!

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 08:59:06 pm »
Don't right off the G60 charger upgrade, but wouldn't recommend it for high revving hard driven engine/track car set-up.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 09:03:15 pm »
Don't right off the G60 charger upgrade, but wouldn't recommend it for high revving hard driven engine/track car set-up.

but surely if it was geared down to produce the same volume/pressure of boost as the G40 charger it wouldnt be such an issue; but duno how much boost they produced / can produce and if you would even need a larger pulley to bring it down to that volume / pressure.