Author Topic: Ιntercooler fan  (Read 4445 times)

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Ιntercooler fan
« on: April 21, 2008, 11:03:46 pm »
In Greece at summer we have 40+ Celsius sometimes... Yesterday we had 29degrees and after a ride i touched the intercooler and it was realy HOT... I was thinking puting a fan behind the intercooler with a swich where i will turn on/off the fan...

Is it a good idea,  will it help the intercooler?

PS:I have the stock intercooler and i don't whant to change it so my G be as most stock as i can...

Thank you....
                                                                                                                               Alex

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Ιntercooler fan
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 09:29:23 am »
it will only help airflow through the intercooler when the car is not moving (sat in a queue of traffic or something), just like the radiator fan does.  It'll do nothing when actually driving, possibly even restrict airflow slightly.  I'm not sure it'll do what you want, perhaps an intercooler spray would work better?  You get these on things like Subaru Imprezas and Mitsubishi Lancer EVOs, it's just like a windscreen washer but sprays cold water onto the intercooler.  I've seen one or two G40s in this country with them.  A lad a I knew who once had a G40 simply connected a pipe from the rear window washer connection on the washer tank to two old windscreen washer jets mounted either side of his intercooler.  Then what used to be the rear window washer on the steering column lever now sprayed water onto the IC.  How much use it was in rainy north manchester I don't know but sounds ideal for you!

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Re: Ιntercooler fan
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 05:12:29 pm »
Water spray... I was thinking about it... The onh ly thing that i'm afraid is: when the ic in hot and i spray the water, it will do a crack? Also will the spray work at high speed or the water is going to be totally spread?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Ιntercooler fan
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 05:18:31 pm »
I don't think the temperature changes involved are going to be quick enough to cause any cracking.  As I say, these things get used on imprezas and lancers from the factory so I think you'll be safe.  It's not like you are taking red hot aluminium and dropping it into a bath of ice cold water.  Another option is water/methanol injection into the airstream itself.  Have a Google search for Aquamist, lots of people in the UK using that.  I've got a kit myself but it's currently living in one of my kitchen cupboards!  In fact I need to do something about that...

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ιntercooler fan
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 06:21:01 pm »
Wow, water injection system is realy expensive... You are right... It's imposible the IC cracks... So you have a AI system and you didn't instaled it YET? In the other hand at UK you don't have hot conditions, but in Greece extra cooling is a need epsecially wen you have 40+ degrees Celsius (104+ degrees  Fahrenheit)!!!

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ιntercooler fan
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 09:42:12 am »
I used to run a 2 step water injection system, which involved a high pressure spray nozzle mounted in the bumper spraying over the IC, and a second high pressure nozzle spraying into the boost  air flow.  The external spray on the IC would kick in at about 3-5 PSI, while the internal spray would kick in at 14PSI.  Now I only run the external spray over the IC as I believe that the internal one caused be some bore wash and accelerated wear on my old block(RIP).  There is a post on the old PSD forum about it somewhere, but the bottom line is that I could get 14PSI of boost at abient temperature at the throttle body.  I used to run a high ethanol mix for the injection sytem which helped give a refrigeration effect better than water alone. I isolated both spray nozzles and found that the only advantage of the internal spray is that the temperature dropped instantly, while the exteranl one took a few seconds to achieve the same temp.
THe system I used was relatively cheap, from the USA, ebay link
These are quite cheap with the current exhange rate, and they can run from your screen wash bottle with the fitment of an extra outlet.

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ιntercooler fan
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 08:21:31 pm »
Ok... Thanks for the anwsers... Well using water spray is the thing i'll do, it's more safe and cheap also...

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
Re: Ιntercooler fan
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 10:28:24 pm »
I've seen Nitrous systems with an i/c surround which vents cold gas directly onto the i/c face.

This a viable option? Was thinking of buying a set-up with the option of another nozzle onto the rad for when sat in traffic.