Author Topic: Any tuning advice for a NEWB?  (Read 6218 times)

Offline Nev

• Members
Any tuning advice for a NEWB?
« on: July 31, 2008, 01:28:55 pm »
Hi,

New to the forum, I'm from MK1 Polo Club.

Can anyone tell me if there is any gains to be had from a decent FMIC on a stock G40?

I really wanna start to make mine a tad quicker now but I'm not THAT up on G's yet so could do with some inital tuning advice. Whats the best place to start etc.

Thanks for your time lads.

P.S. Sorry if there's already a thread on this. I couldn't find it  ;)

Nev

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Any tuning advice for a NEWB?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 02:27:47 pm »
hi, welcome to the forum!

a bigger IC probably isn't going to make much (if any) difference to an otherwise stock G40.  The usual route to start with is a smaller charger pulley and a remapped ecu chip.  Then high-flow air filter and exhaust system...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:28:10 pm by hayesey »

Offline wozzaG40

• Members
Re: Re: Any tuning advice for a NEWB?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 03:26:55 pm »
not forgetting the easier/cheaper things like de-wedging the throttle body, porting an polishing the throttle body and charger outlet. every little helps

But Hayesey has listed the main/most common ones.

Just beware that it modifiying a G40 is not a cheap process you will have to be prepared to part with a fair bit of your hard earned cash. but what a reward you will get  :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:27:22 pm by wozzaG40 »

Offline Nev

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Any tuning advice for a NEWB?
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 06:35:01 pm »
Thanks for the welcome chaps.

At the mo it's only running a full Maniflow exhaust system including 4-2-1 manifold and a pipercross panel filter. I've got a smaller pulley but will need a chip to run it properly.

Whats the deal with a GT inlet manifold? Does it give anything worth while? I reckon I'll have one knocking about somewhere. Also whats all this BRM business? I'm not sure I like the idea of having to nail the charger with PTFE spray every 5 mins!

I'm fully prepared for the wallet beating. A mate has just got his up to about 180bhp (not dyno'd yet), but he kinda paid PSD to build it and I'm a more hands on person and wanna learn myself.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Any tuning advice for a NEWB?
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 07:32:10 pm »
ah right, sounds like you're already well on the way then.

GT inlet manifold has a larger bore than a g40 one so flows more air.  Pulls harder in the top end but does sacrifice a tiny amount of bottom end torque, personally I much prefer he gt manifold.  But I do like to rev my car.

BRM? do you mean removing the boost return pipe?  Well there are two camps on this subject.  I sit firmly on the side that cold air and spraying PTFE grease every now and then is much better than the standard hot air recirculating around and relying on oil breather scum to lube the charger apex seals.  You don't have to spray PTFE every five mins, in fact that's a mistake some people make, putting too much in too often and it ends up with loads of it in the boost pipes.

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any tuning advice for a NEWB?
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 07:59:34 pm »
[quote pid=2846 author=hayesey date=1217529130]ah right, sounds like you're already well on the way then.

GT inlet manifold has a larger bore than a g40 one so flows more air.  Pulls harder in the top end but does sacrifice a tiny amount of bottom end torque, personally I much prefer he gt manifold.  But I do like to rev my car.

BRM? do you mean removing the boost return pipe?  Well there are two camps on this subject.  I sit firmly on the side that cold air and spraying PTFE grease every now and then is much better than the standard hot air recirculating around and relying on oil breather scum to lube the charger apex seals.  You don't have to spray PTFE every five mins, in fact that's a mistake some people make, putting too much in too often and it ends up with loads of it in the boost pipes.[/quote]

Off topic, but it would be nice somebody that knows the process how to lube the charger with PTFE spray (when running with no boost return pipe) ,to make a FAQ...

Offline wozzaG40

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any tuning advice for a NEWB?
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 08:53:54 pm »
Couldn't really be any easier thing to do,
-Firstly remove the inlet pipe from the air box to charger (two Alan key bolts 5mm, or screws depends on if you have a performance filter)
-In sure that nothing is lying around that can get sucked in
-Start the engine
-Shake the spray can lol
-hold the revs at about 2000 rpm
-Aim the nozzle at the scroll which is constantly going round (insure the spray can is upright)
-Now Spray between 5 to 10 short (not to short) bursts (dependent on mileage).  
-Then hold the revs for a few seconds
-Turn the engine off an put it back together
-Stick a label on the can an write down your current mileage sorted
-Repeat process as needed

I lube mine every 750 to a 1000 miles but i do use the car quite regularly, i understand that a few people will do it differently, some lube the charger once a month as they don't do much mileage, an some less than that. but the thing is to work out whats best an stick to it, trying to make sure that you do not use to much.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:57:03 pm by wozzaG40 »

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any tuning advice for a NEWB?
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 02:11:31 pm »
[quote pid=2855 author=wozzaG40 date=1217534034]Couldn't really be any easier thing to do,
-Firstly remove the inlet pipe from the air box to charger (two Alan key bolts 5mm, or screws depends on if you have a performance filter)
-In sure that nothing is lying around that can get sucked in
-Start the engine
-Shake the spray can lol
-hold the revs at about 2000 rpm
-Aim the nozzle at the scroll which is constantly going round (insure the spray can is upright)
-Now Spray between 5 to 10 short (not to short) bursts (dependent on mileage).  
-Then hold the revs for a few seconds
-Turn the engine off an put it back together
-Stick a label on the can an write down your current mileage sorted
-Repeat process as needed

I lube mine every 750 to a 1000 miles but i do use the car quite regularly, i understand that a few people will do it differently, some lube the charger once a month as they don't do much mileage, an some less than that. but the thing is to work out whats best an stick to it, trying to make sure that you do not use to much.[/quote]

Oh... Thank you very much... My only problem is: can you be a little more accurate about spraying time?

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any tuning advice for a NEWB?
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 08:16:17 pm »
Spraying time, well you can do it any time day or night - we don't mind on here!

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any tuning advice for a NEWB?
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 08:26:51 pm »
[quote pid=2955 author=breadman date=1217704577]Spraying time, well you can do it any time day or night - we don't mind on here![/quote]

Propably my English is poor and you didn't understand what i want to mean. WozzaG40 says: Now Spray between 5 to 10 short (not to short) bursts (dependent on mileage).
I mean how many seconds do you spray in the charger PTFE spray?

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any tuning advice for a NEWB?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 10:50:38 pm »
[quote pid=2956 author=Alexiskayak_7 date=1217705211][quote pid=2955 author=breadman date=1217704577]Spraying time, well you can do it any time day or night - we don't mind on here![/quote]

Propably my English is poor and you didn't understand what i want to mean. WozzaG40 says: Now Spray between 5 to 10 short (not to short) bursts (dependent on mileage).
I mean how many seconds do you spray in the charger PTFE spray?[/quote]

Sorry Alex, I was joking!
I totally forgot you weren't English, which must go to show just how good your English is!
I would have thought no more than 2 seconds at the most for each spray.

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any tuning advice for a NEWB?
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 10:32:18 am »
[quote pid=2957 author=breadman date=1217713838][quote pid=2956 author=Alexiskayak_7 date=1217705211][quote pid=2955 author=breadman date=1217704577]Spraying time, well you can do it any time day or night - we don't mind on here![/quote]

I mean how many seconds do you spray in the charger PTFE spray?[/quote]

Sorry Alex, I was joking!
I totally forgot you weren't English, which must go to show just how good your English is!
I would have thought no more than 2 seconds at the most for each spray.[/quote]

Oh now i undestand... Between 5-10 busrts of 2 seconds... Thank you for your reply...

Offline G-spot

• Members
Only recommendation I can add to this is to remove the boost pipe off the throttle body allowing all the exit air from the charger/boost system to vent to atmosphere.  This way if you do spray to much by accident then it won't get dragged into your engine, causing it to stall and possibly foul up the plugs. Plus doing it this way you won't need to hold the revs up as the propellant gas wont effect the engine running.