Author Topic: best bargin ever!?  (Read 11642 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
best bargin ever!?
« on: July 30, 2008, 07:15:49 pm »
im moving in with my girlfriend next month and as i own nothing substantial that is worthy of a home i ve been buying stuff.  now most the stuff i dont want to spend earned cash on really so heres my story...

the other day i was looking on ebay and thought 'lamp' ha ha.  turns out there was an ikea lamp, tall standing one 40  quid when new on the ikea website http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60067318  and it was local pick up only.  put a bid on for 3.99 won it and picked it up!  weighs a ton!  felt right bad giving 4 pound coins for something so big!

plus i won a brand new Vax hoover for 19.80 delivered!  brand new!  and its great!

plus!  i sent 5 old shit phones to envirophone.co.uk who picked them up for free, and sent me 36.45 quid in argos credit (you can choose cash but knew id spend it on something daft) and bought an iron and ironing board for 36 quid exactly!

you can imagine im in the good books with the girlfriend right now!

whats your best barging?  not just car stuff.

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Re: best bargin ever!?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 08:52:13 am »
I'm a bit of an Ebay nut atm.  I've only sold stuff though not bought anything (ok so a bit off topic!).

Someone had a bargain off me though grrrrrr I had some door/panel mouldings for a Mk1 Golf which had previously sold the week before for £50 (different set).  Set mine up all ready to sell, forgot to keep an eye on it and they went for £6.49! grrrrrr

You've given me a great idea for getting stuff when I move out as I don't really have anything worth putting in a house.

That Envirophone is ace.  I am going to get a 16GB 3G iPhone (as soon as somewhere has them in stock) which'll cost me £60 but I can give my old one to Envirophone for £160! £100 in pocket ;)

My friend told me about this http://uk.freecycle.org/.  You type in your location and it gives you all the free stuff people are giving away in your area.  It's pretty funky!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: best bargin ever!?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 10:21:32 am »
yeah I got a couple of bits of freecycle, including a hedge trimmer that was given to me as having a faulty on switch, I just cleaned the motor brushes with some sand paper and it's as good as new.  Filled my garden waste wheelie bin with hedge trimmings!  Also got a tile saw thingy off there.  I've given stuff away too though, a washing machine with an intermittent fault and an armchair.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: best bargin ever!?
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 05:15:29 pm »
freecycle ive heard of that.  gonna check it out now!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Re: best bargin ever!?
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 06:05:48 pm »
my best was on ebay, won a full set of tinted glass for £8.77. then when i got there, he made us a brew, had a biscuit. then packed it all for me and i told him i was off out that night so he refused to take any money - told me to keep it for beer!

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best bargin ever!?
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 07:18:21 pm »
yeah freecycle gets obsessive, but good for stuff like cupboards etc

things i cant bring myself to spend money on lol

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best bargin ever!?
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 07:35:00 pm »
I'd have thought you Yorkshire lads would be on there al the time ;)

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best bargin ever!?
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 03:29:40 pm »
I once swapped 4 bottles of beer for a Metro GTI with tax and MOT. It got abused (by me and others) for several months 'til the MOT was just about to run out, then got nearly £400 for it on eBay. Result!

Offline NeilG40

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best bargin ever!?
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 07:49:05 am »
[quote pid=2895 author=Andy date=1217600980]I once swapped 4 bottles of beer for a Metro GTI with tax and MOT. It got abused (by me and others) for several months 'til the MOT was just about to run out, then got nearly £400 for it on eBay. Result![/quote]

That's just reminded me I got a full driving day at Silverstone in exchange for a case of beer.

Offline giorgio

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best bargin ever!?
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 05:52:25 pm »
I got this Metro GTI on ebay. Proper minter, flew through its next MOT and it only cost me £400

Offline heartagram

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best bargin ever!?
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 03:21:50 pm »
Got a pair of slicks for 99p on ebay. But my mate owed me a favour so he picked them up and paid for them as well. So technically they were free, lol.

I only paid £50 for my Polo, so that was pretty good. Considering I sold him the trim 2 weeks before for £90 and I got it back and sold it again for £70!

Offline buster.g40

• Members
  • Old enough to know better....
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best bargin ever!?
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 11:07:43 pm »
I got this Mk2 for £50....T&T it and sold it for £500.

And i bought this Mk4 Saloon for £21 from E-Bay....

Offline Tommyk

• Members
  • will i ever finish the project!!!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best bargin ever!?
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 01:59:52 pm »
[quote pid=2801 author=supercharged spaniel date=1217441749]im moving in with my girlfriend next month and as i own nothing substantial that is worthy of a home i ve been buying stuff.  now most the stuff i dont want to spend earned cash on really so heres my story...

the other day i was looking on ebay and thought 'lamp' ha ha.  turns out there was an ikea lamp, tall standing one 40  quid when new on the ikea website http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60067318  and it was local pick up only.  put a bid on for 3.99 won it and picked it up!  weighs a ton!  felt right bad giving 4 pound coins for something so big!

plus i won a brand new Vax hoover for 19.80 delivered!  brand new!  and its great!

plus!  i sent 5 old shit phones to envirophone.co.uk who picked them up for free, and sent me 36.45 quid in argos credit (you can choose cash but knew id spend it on something daft) and bought an iron and ironing board for 36 quid exactly!

you can imagine im in the good books with the girlfriend right now!

whats your best barging?  not just car stuff.[/quote]

i got a few awesome bargains the other day from the scrappy!

£4 for audioscape door pods with kenwood speakers in perfect nick and Weichers front upper strut brace! also paid £40 for leather mk3 front an rear seats! get in!  seats sold for £150!
was a good day! :)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 02:58:04 pm »
brought a mk3 coupe off an foreign guy who was going back home for £40.

Got home and opened the boot to find: 3 sets of jumpleads, steering wheel lock, full set of screwdrivers, full set of spanners and sockets, jerrycan, spare fuel cap and a few other lil bits n bobs. That lot come to £80 when we looked them up!

Offline Phil

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 02:04:20 am »
Ive had a couple of bargain G40s in my time. Probably best not to talk numbers, it might upset people. ;D