Author Topic: Urgent, help :(  (Read 1754 times)

Offline AdzCM

• Members
Urgent, help :(
« on: April 16, 2010, 03:03:14 pm »
hey guys, my rocker cover gasket was a bit weepy so i used gasket seal on it.

i put the cover back on and was tightening the 3 bolts - i wasnt even tightening them that much and the middle one snapped and i have no idea what to do :(

would 2 bolts be enough and just stick the middle washer/remains of the bolt in to stop oil gettng out because i have no idea how im going to get the rest of the bolt out - its sheered off

please advise me

thanks adrian.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 03:07:13 pm by AdzCM »

Offline AdzCM

• Members
Re: Urgent, help :(
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 03:25:09 pm »
are the rocker cover bolts on any mk2 polo the same or does a g40 have different ones?

Can my car be driven temporarily with the middle blocked up somehow?

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 04:23:58 pm »
G40 rocker bolts are specific mate. and cost over a tenner each.
to get the snapped bit out you will need to drill and easy out or drill and helicoil.
should never tighten more then the torque stated especially these bolts!

the pressure of the g40 will blow that bolt out mate so you wont get far. you need to get it to where your going carefully and park it up till its fixed properly

sorry to hear you have done this mate

Offline gurtbonger

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 06:01:23 pm »
did exactly the same thing, luckily managed to drill it out. I temp fixed it by sealing it down. i used a rubbery sealant somthing that will hold but wouldn't make a mess when I came to remove it, placed the sealant where the cover bolt sits and then round the top for good measure, didn't leak what so ever, ill take a pic if you really want?

James.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 06:53:43 pm »
there might just be enough thread left sticking out to grab hold of it with some small needle nose pliers.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 03:36:57 am »
cheers guys, im glad to say i did a pretty good temp fix - i managed to use a flat headed screwdriver and pliers [as a hammer] and managed to tap round the remains of the bolt and it came out :)

got a pretty long bolt cut to size and a washer + nut and screwed it in along with the existing washer - its more than a temp fix, its just as good as the original bolt - just a tip incase this happens to anyone else.

lol ill know in future to tighten them just about.

thanks again.

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 08:29:47 am »
when this happened to me it happened on the middle bolt...

i removed the rocker cover... got a tiny screwdriver (when the bolt breaks its due to the twisting motion so will normally leave on edge flicked/torn upwards...like a 99 ice cream if you wanted an analogy!) you should be able to just spin what is left of the bolt with the screwdriver.
once this was out i swapped the right hand(passengers side) bolt to the middle as due to the tray that sits underneath the oil filler cap there is minimal oil flow around the passengers side bolt... i just just popped the broken bolt back in the rubber held it fairly snugly.... i found i got no oil whatsoever leak after swappin this!

then just get a few ordered from vw not too expensive... problem solved.