Author Topic: Coolant hoses to heater matrix  (Read 2601 times)

Offline rml2711

• Members
Coolant hoses to heater matrix
« on: April 05, 2010, 09:04:52 am »
Can anybody help please?
During a clean-up and polish session I removed the hoses from the metal pipe at the back of the engine block that pass through the bulkhead and connect to the heater matrix.....When the time came to re-connect the hoses I couldn't remember which went where! Essentially the two pipes pass through a grommet into the scuttle,does the hose from nearest the distributor pass through the right hand grommet hole then connect to the top or bottom of the matrix?

Thanks to anyone who can help! Peter.

Offline g40willa

• Members
Re: Coolant hoses to heater matrix
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:41:13 pm »
I put the g40 engine in a mk1 golf and had the same probs, on the golf the pipes that come from the matrix are one above the other, if they are on the polo (as opposed to side by side) I simply put the upper pipe from the matrix to the upper pipe on the engine and likewise on the lower.

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 03:00:15 pm »
haynes manual is a must if you do jobs on a car yourself. states in the manual "note location of hoses then loosen the clips and disconnect" bet you wish you had done that! haynes manual also states "make sure the hoses are connected the correct way round the direction of flow is indicated on the outlet elbow" so there is an arrow on the matrix outlet (bit with a wire on) so this is out- which will connect to the pipe not connected directly to the pump! so it should be the one connected to the thermostat body. leaving the bigger ended pipe (on the metal water pump pipe) to connect to the inlet which shud be at the bottom of the matrix.

BBBBRRRAAAP lol

Offline rml2711

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 07:16:23 pm »
I've got a Haynes manual,but don't need it for such a simple job.....what could possibly go wrong? only two hoses,what's the chance of getting them mixed up?
 Seriously though,I thought it would be easy enough,but doubt set in when I came to re-install the hoses.

Thanks for your help though folks,I'll go and have a quick check-up and make sure I put them where they are supposed to be!

Peter

Offline g40willa

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 08:26:36 am »
F            a            m                i                     l                i            a               r

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 04:58:45 pm »
what you supposed to mean by that

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 10:08:23 pm »
Refering to his initial reply I assume. ::)  ;)

LOL, I gotta admit its funny isn't it, I bet many of us can strip and rebuild a G40 engine or charger in our sleep, even me and i've not touched one for 3 1/2years i think now!   :o ;D  But such a specific non routine job like reconnecting the heater pipes starts your noggin going... um errr, hmm... doh??? :D

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 07:50:16 pm »
yer - but his answer isnt exactly 100% as he is assuming its the same. what i put is a solid answer as to where the pipes should go.