Author Topic: found a crack in my chassis what are my options ??  (Read 5081 times)

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
Re: found a crack in my chassis what are my options ??
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 02:21:46 am »
Not the most expected of places to find a crack like that!!

You need to drill 4/5mm hole at the end of the crack so the crack just about runs into the hole if that makes sense. This deletes the crack tip (where stress is most concentrated). Then weld up the crack and hole (grind back if you wish) and paint as normal. That should stop any propergation and give you the best chance of curing the problem...

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 09:21:29 am »
Ye I thought it was a strange place for it to crack but in glad I spotted it , thanks for the advise jez hopefully I'll be crack free very soon :)

Offline pettsy

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 08:25:07 pm »
mine had a tiny one there too. has now been welded up,along with strengthening of the bottom of the leg and the gearbox mount

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 01:47:51 am »
Drilled a whole in mine now like jez said and am waiting for somone with a welder to come Lund n weld it up for me dos you weld the seams around that crack pettsy ?

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 06:53:49 pm »
Checked mine today whilst doing other work and I've got the same crack! This is weird

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 08:57:44 pm »
Must be a weak Spot I'm going to get the whole area stich welded up now to prevent any future cracks hopefuly !!!