Author Topic: if i were to fit a g40 engine...  (Read 3843 times)

Offline barmy army

• Members
if i were to fit a g40 engine...
« on: August 31, 2008, 09:57:29 pm »
I dont actually own a g40 but i have nice little mk1 golf 1.1, ive always liked the older vw's and a year ago couldnt afford a g40 (or the insurance), so i bought my golf for 650 quid and have been doing it up ever since, so much so i dont think i will ever sell it. ive been doing a bit of research on some engine conversions, and have decided i want a g40 engine in it as the engine mounts are the same, so i believe? (and there quick!) i want to know if i can use any of my mk1 bits, like the fuel lines etc as if i were to put a 1.8 16v in these would have to be changed along with the tank etc. would be great if someone could tell me what i need to do the conversion.

cheers rob

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
Re: if i were to fit a g40 engine...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 10:34:38 pm »
[quote pid=3698 author=barmy army date=1220216249]I dont actually own a g40 but i have nice little mk1 golf 1.1, ive always liked the older vw's and a year ago couldnt afford a g40 (or the insurance), so i bought my golf for 650 quid and have been doing it up ever since, so much so i dont think i will ever sell it. ive been doing a bit of research on some engine conversions, and have decided i want a g40 engine in it as the engine mounts are the same, so i believe? (and there quick!) i want to know if i can use any of my mk1 bits, like the fuel lines etc as if i were to put a 1.8 16v in these would have to be changed along with the tank etc. would be great if someone could tell me what i need to do the conversion.

cheers rob[/quote]

It is not quite as straight forward as you think do drop the G40 block into a small engined mk1 Golf chassis. The G40 uses its own combined engine and supercharger mount, the fastening bolt is 90 degrees different when fixing to the the polo chassis from the golf setup. If you were putting a mk3 polo GT engine ( or turbo'd G40 conversion) in your mk1 golf, then you could just use that offside golf engine mount onto the G40 block.  A bit of fabrication will be needed.

As for fuelling, i would look into mk1/mk2 golf GTI fuel lines and probably the mk2 gti 16v fuel pumps.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 10:37:49 pm by Nick_S »

Offline barmy army

• Members
Re: Re: if i were to fit a g40 engine...
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:32:27 pm »
cheers mate i was hoping id be able to use my 1.1 stuff for fuelling, is the 1.3 g40 engine fuel injected? also could i just buy a standard 1.3 polo gt engine and fit a supercharger to it? im not very technical sorry! dont really know what can be done, if thats possible would it give the same performance as a g40 engine?