Author Topic: Coilovers?  (Read 11882 times)

Offline AdzCM

• Members
Coilovers?
« on: March 29, 2010, 10:02:26 pm »
what coilovers should i get that are cheap and allow serious lowering capabilities lol?

i want my G on the ground but dont want to be spending too much money....

any ideas

cheers, adrian

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Coilovers?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 10:11:47 pm »
i want my G on the ground but dont want to be spending too much money....

any ideas

take the wheels off??? ;D ;D ;D

Don't think cheap and coilovers appear in the same sentence from my experience, the best you could do cheaply is fit adjustable platforms, only cheap if your handy with the tools though!

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 02:14:53 am »
lol when i say cheap i mean anything around £600 - ive seen folks on here with coilovers that cost over 1k :s

i had fully adjustable tein coilovers in my tsport which only cost £570 and they were unreal.

anyone on here got coilovers around that price which have a good drop? :)

thanks adrian.

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 08:11:14 am »
I apologise, I didn't class £500+ as cheap hence my comment, I'll leave it for others to help you there as I'm running eibach lowering springs.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 01:50:50 pm »
aw no problem friend - £600 aint cheap to me either - it is for coilovers compared to £1000+ lol

anyone?  found these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TA-Coilover-kit-VW-Polo-mk1-mk2-mk3-86-86c-2F-30-80mm_W0QQitemZ360245967671QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item53e0553b37

80mm drop be enough at the back?? - dont want much space [if any] between the tyre and arch to show.

thanks.

Offline shaun_89

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 10:11:59 pm »
ask philj on here or clubpolo. Hes gettin some budget coilovers made up, around 450 if i remeber correctly

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 11:53:48 pm »
You've got a few options although with suspension I think what you pay for is what you get . Pps do some realy cheap jobbies at £300/350ish at that price range there's ta technix/raceland.
Another option that you've got not collies but h+r cup kit is ment to be very good for around £300 the next price braket up is gaz collies wich are good and dampening adjustable there around £600ish from corbymotorsport after that you've got h+r collies and kw type ones and type twos one being set dampening or varient twos adjustable dampening all of wich would t leave you much change from a grand take your pick !
   Although try a ride in somone else who's got that suspension to see of you like it of you can 

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 09:54:27 pm »
If you have the time and the patience - get mk1 struts and modify them - not the cheapest option but then again i have camber adjustment- unlike thos who have to use camber top mounts to get there wheels right.

if you want more pics, pm me and il try and dig them out

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 10:46:10 pm »
youngprodigys have you still got the build pics of when you adapted the mk1 golf coilovers?

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 11:19:40 pm »
I've got them somewhere. there's quite a few parts that you need to do the conversion. shocks with some polo shocks aswell for the arms, mk1 hubs, mk1 1.3cv's, and a few others. il try
and find them

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 01:10:08 pm »
thanks again lads, dub-disaster - reckon the gaz coilovers will do me fine, mainly a weekend car so comfort isnt a major concern. i can throw in a set of coilovers but wouldnt have the time/patience or know-how on building a set from parts lol.

youngprodigys - you say u can adjust the wheel camber? are polos known for bad camber/tyre wear when lowered?

appreciate the help

ps: saw the pics of your G in that build thread of your, a truely nice car mate, lots of time and money spent there, hope you get it up and running smoothly soon! tt dashboard, unreal looking.

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 02:20:28 pm »
The only reason for fitting coilovers is for adjustment surely? Fitting coilovers doesn't mean the ride has to be hard or uncomfortable.
The Gaz ones can be ordered with different spring rates and the dampers are adjustable too. Coilovers are only springs and dampers after all.

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 03:13:21 pm »
The only reason for fitting coilovers is for adjustment surely? Fitting coilovers doesn't mean the ride has to be hard or uncomfortable.
The Gaz ones can be ordered with different spring rates and the dampers are adjustable too. Coilovers are only springs and dampers after all.

Technically all Polo springs and dampers are coilovers, after all the coil is over the damper, is it not!

And I think the reason so many people want height adjustable suspension is not so much the adjustability (great for a race car but how many people alter the height and damping settings on their road car to suit where they're going or what type of roads they'll be driving on?), but rather so that they can drop the car fashionably low. And invariably near solid springs and harsh damping then need to be used to stop the wheels catching any other parts of the car!

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 04:03:50 pm »
That is exactly why I think its a waste of time spending £600+ on coilovers (ok Puncharado, adjustable coilovers then! ::)) unless you are actually interested in making the car handle.
If all you're gonna do is wind them right down to "slam it" meaning virtually no suspension travel, it'll skip and crash all over the road anyway. Crap roadholding and handling in one go, worse than standard. Mmm, you might as well save your money and buy a cheap and ultra low spring and shock set that'll do the same.

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 05:05:44 pm »
if im correct then if you slam a mk1-3 polo the camber on the front is awful and the tyres will wear out, thats why people have the camber ajustable top mounts to try and reduce this. i wanted mine to look quite stock so i incorporated the mk1 hub and shock so i could do this and get the wheels flat on the floor - not on the pi$$ which will help handling.
and the reason why??? well with a 180+hp front wheel drive polo it will handle like shit so its just so i can put it on the floor at shows lol - if i wasnt running big wheels then i could get the drive shafts touching the chassis if i wanted to

;D