Author Topic: How much do you reckon my car is worth?  (Read 6360 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
How much do you reckon my car is worth?
« on: March 26, 2010, 11:35:21 am »
I'm not necessarily looking to sell up, but there's a possibility of me owning a car I've always wanted to own. Which means I've either got to flog the Passat (preferred option) and have two modern classics (which could be a pain), or sell the Polo and replace it with this other car.

If I were to sell my car, what do you reckon it'd be worth?

Spec and pics are here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/593141

I've had it for 10 years, it started out as a completely standard Polo GT. In 2005 I swapped the engine for a 70,000 mile G40 engine with brand new VAG fuel pumps, a freshly rebuilt full blend charger and new injectors with the SNS chip from PSD (since swapped for a fully custom map). So the shell has done 178,000 miles (not that it shows) and the engine has done around 100-105,000.

The paint is pretty much mint, there's a blob of surface rust on the a pillar (about an inch, an easy fix, I'm told) and another in the boot. One of the rear wheel arch trims doesn't quite sit flush because the arches are rolled, but again it's an easy fix (I just haven't had time). But the battery tray is still solid!

It's got G40 spec steering and track control arms (brand new) and has had brand new CV joints recently, the front wheel bearings have done a thousand miles tops. I've got a service history showing the engine has had fresh oil every 6,000 miles from new. It's at around 100,000 miles and runs really well. There are 160mph G40 clocks in the dash and with the beesting aerial it's only an interior short of the full G40 spec. I've fitted the more comfortable Scirocco GTII seats though.

Quaife checked the gearbox last year when they fitted the diff, and it's fine. The Gaz suspension is less than a year old and has done around 8,000 miles. The front brakes have done around the same, and I changed the drums about 25,000 miles ago.

So not a genuine G40 but a well specced conversion which has been really well looked after.

What do you think it'd be worth?

(If I keep it, I'm hanging onto it forever. It's due to be painted, de-rusted and undersealed this summer.)

Offline Varley

• Members
Re: How much do you reckon my car is worth?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 12:15:43 pm »
Surely not?

Mine's been on a similar journey with me and I couldn't bear to see someone else enjoy ther fruits of my labour - so unless I find myself in dire straights I like to think I'll keep it forever but hey ho...

Assuming the right person happens to be looking at the right time I'd like to think somewhere north of £3k? Definitely not enough so you wouldn't regret it unfortunately...

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 12:28:18 pm »
Well I'd be lying if I said I wanted to sell it, I planned to keep it forever, but I'd be stretched to run three cars.

The other car in question is older than the Polo, forced induction and more of an actual classic. Something I can't see myself ever selling. It's also a bargain, despite needing some work to get it running properly. It'd be a shame to run either as a daily and I doubt the insurance will be cheap on the new one, so the most sensible option really is to sell the Polo to buy it.

But then I'm getting rid of my long term project and first car to hang onto the Passat. Which is a fantastic car, frugal, reliable and comfortable, but not something I'm emotionally attached to or plan on keeping.

I'm just weighing up my options really.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:30:19 pm by Alex »

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 12:30:45 pm »
Hmmm this is a toughie Alex. On one hand it’s a conversion, that will be good to some people and not as good to others. For example I’ve just built a GT to G40 spec for a track day car as I didn’t want to batter my original G round a track. It is a good spec with some nice bits on it but you’d probably get more for them off the car. If you are after top money back as much as it pains me to say it but you know that breaking it you’d get more. I’m sure you wouldn’t want to do that with the time and effort you’ve put into it. Is there anyway you could mothball it and still get the other car or do you need the cash/space?

I’d say sell the passat, if you don’t do many miles, the G still has comfy seats, if the suspension is compliant and the diff isn’t too aggressive. You’d just have to get used to using it more often again. Its not like you can keep the mileage low now! I’m sure it wont be worth in money whats its worth to you. If you don’t enjoy it anymore though…..

Offline Max

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 12:37:01 pm »
I must know what the new potential car is first :p

Sell the Passat, you will kick yourself if you sell the Polo, trust me!!!

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:46:15 pm »
The issue really is I've built the Polo to be used, so I'd hate to put it in storage and not drive it. It's not a daily, so I tend not to get it out unless the weather's nice (not that rain really stops me), but it still does boring stuff like going to work/shops etc and I used it so much last summer that the Passat ended up being stuffed in the garage and left until the battery went flat.

The Passat's the one to go though, of the two. But that means splitting daily use between two weekend cars. Well actually it means fixing the new one up, using it while the Polo gets painted, then swapping it over and getting the new one painted. Which I would have enough for with the extra cash from selling the Passat.

Offline Varley

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 02:08:56 pm »
S1 RS turbo?

If so I can see the dilemma...

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 02:52:34 pm »
Awesome car, don't get me wrong, but what I'm looking at is a shite site better than a S1 RS Turbo...

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 03:15:53 pm »
Audi Quattro?

80's and early 90's cars are great! I was chuffed the other day to see a lovely Pug 205 GTI, too many nice cars of a certain age are either being kept off the road, or getting broken. I don't like the idea of people breaking old cars in good nick just for a few extra quid, although I understand the reasons.

Just my opinion Alex, flog the Passat and keep the Polo. As Sam says, the Polo has your heart and a big chunk of your wallet, so I'd see how it goes running the 2 classics. If it doesn't work out, then a daily Passat or whatever will be easy to come by, and you may even decide that the other car will be the one to go.
I've had my G 10 years, spent a fortune on it and then left it parked up, it hasn't run for 6 or 7 years. I would have rather left it rot than sell it! I was planning on buying another fast car but like you I'd then have 3 road cars. So instead, another substantial chunk of money is being thrown at the G to get it back into shape and then it'll be my daily driver. I'll probably end up spending more than the car will then be worth, so I'm going to drive it everyday and enjoy it.

Most of us don't have the luxury of having so much money we can afford to buy cars to look at and not use, and since you've put so much into the Polo surely you must keep it, drive it, and get your value out of it. You said you built it to be driven!

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 03:22:39 pm »
Yep, it's a Quattro. I wasn't going to name names originally. It's a car I will own, one day. I'm just wondering if that day is a bit sooner than planned!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 03:25:42 pm by Alex »

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 06:14:54 pm »
Hmmm quatro's!!!!!!

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 06:53:22 pm »
Keep the G alex your never get the money that your G is worth its a very fine example with quality modification no expense spared!

how many people sell there G40's and a couple of years later they regret it after buying so many different cars and nothing compares to a G40!

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 07:46:48 pm »
Don't sell the polo!

The passat will well be worth making way just for this alone 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P88AnM3z_wI

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 08:01:54 pm »
a ur quattro is a car I must own at some point too.  I'd miss my polo but I sure as soon as I started that 5-pot turbo engine up and gave it a rev I'd not miss it too much.  Although I'd have to tune the quattro a bit to get it to be as fast

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 08:35:24 pm »
I'm in a good position to get it tuned up, which is kind of the attraction. :)

I know for a fact I wouldn't miss the Passat, but I'd miss the Polo.

I'm such a knob, lol! :D