Author Topic: PSD Uprated Driveshaft - Once piece CV/drive flange?  (Read 1526 times)

Offline rich4130

• Members
PSD Uprated Driveshaft - Once piece CV/drive flange?
« on: March 13, 2010, 10:49:46 am »
Took the engine out of my G40 a while back, the O/S driveshaft is uprated, but it seems to be in one piece where it joins into the input flange on the gearbox? rather than being held onto the flange by the usual 6x m8 bolts? The bolts just hold a cover on, CV joint ended up falling apart..any ideas??!

Rich

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: PSD Uprated Driveshaft - Once piece CV/drive flange?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 11:08:20 am »
not too sure what you mean really, any pics?  The PSD shafts just use standard CV joints.  If the CV joint fell apart then it sounds knackered.

Offline rich4130

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 04:08:23 pm »
In which case it may not be a PSD shaft!

Basically the 'box end incorperates the whole final drive flange into the gearbox, (with the 6mm allen key bolt in centre)
and the 6 bolts merely hold the cover on!?

Will try and get some snaps, had my tonsils out thursday so not feeling so sharp!

Ta

Rich

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 04:16:33 pm »
are you sure it's not just 2 parts seized together?  I cant really see how it'd work like that as it needs to be a moving part.  But I'll wait for pics before saying anything else :)

Offline rich4130

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 04:19:08 pm »
Well its only a couple of years old, and I assumed it was 2x bits when took the engine out, but theres no obvious joint/and just ended up mullering the CV and all the balls falling out!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 04:22:59 pm »
in fact, what you are saying is impossible as you'd never be able to remove the shaft from the gearbox, you've got to undo the shaft from the flange to be able to get to the bolt in the middle of the flange that holds it to th gearbox. 

I've seen the outer part of the CV joint stick to the flange before and need a few hits to get it out.

Offline rich4130

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 05:05:36 pm »
Indeed!

Looks like I'll need a new CV regardless, unless they can be put back together? Better get reading!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 07:55:59 pm »
The PSD shafts are very slightly longer- if your engine sits a few mm towards the drivers side then the tolerance stack up make the CV joint stick to the output flange.

Highly annoying! Just copper grease around the output flange face and try to shove the engine over a touch.

Offline rich4130

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 09:12:23 pm »
That would be it!

Better get a new CV!