Author Topic: Engine paint - what do you use ??  (Read 2092 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Engine paint - what do you use ??
« on: March 09, 2010, 03:24:37 pm »
I recently painted my old block with halfords vht paint saysits good for 600 degrees c it's what I used on my manifold had some left put it in the block, and well the block has rusted through the paint.
  So firstly is this down to the paint or the prep? I wire brushed it clean then degreesed it then painted it though that was rite?? What paint do you guys use as I wanna do my new 1341 and don't wanna have to be going over it again!
 Finaly what colour do you guys use I was going for black as that's the colour I want it but somone said you can't see oil leaks so mite be better of going for a different colour! Hopefuly won't leak any way though.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
Re: Engine paint - what do you use ??
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:55:58 pm »
if rust has come up through it means that the prep work was poor in the first place mate. thats not saying that the paint isnt poor also though, ive never used it. when i got my block back from the re-bore i masked off the bores and galleries and sand blasted it, then removed all the core plugs and thoroughly cleaned the whole block of swarf and sand etc with an air line, thinners and degreaser etc - minty mint. Then i applied a few coats of high temp black (cant remember brand) and job was a good'un... i dont rate any paint from halfrauds thats their own personally..

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 06:15:09 am »
Hmm I see down to the prep then I'll have to have another go n do it better this time hopfuly !! Thanks jez

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 06:42:24 pm »
Like all things, thorough preperation is the key to a good finish.
Try www.frosts.co.uk for engine paint. They do a few different types, all in various different colours.
As for which colour to use on the block, I personally prefer black. Silver/grey on gearboxes and anything alluminium looks good too. At the end of the day, it's really up to you though.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 06:21:00 am »
Not sure about the like man, it took me to an estate agents site !

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 12:32:14 pm »

Offline jscmk3

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 12:35:33 pm »
I use POR15 engine enamel from Frost (in black).
Did my GT engine last year and done about 10k miles since then and it still looks as good as the day i painted it.
http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8765

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 01:34:02 pm »
I use it too, wear gloves when you apply it or you'll have painted hands for a few days.

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 05:19:54 pm »
Isnt that VHT paint like an exhaust paint thats piss thin? Really you want somthing you can brush on. Ive always just painted blocks with 2k paint.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 05:59:56 pm »
Yea it is pretty thin realy but it is the brush on stuff, think be going with some of the stuff mentioned earlier in the post I'll be wire brushing it then using a rust treatment before paint this time maybe sumthing like hammerite krust as I've already it a tin of this .
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:51:58 pm by dub-disaster »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 08:18:38 pm »
engine enamel from frost is a very thick brush on enamel paint as the name suggests :)

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 09:44:16 pm »
Isnt that VHT paint like an exhaust paint thats piss thin? Really you want somthing you can brush on. Ive always just painted blocks with 2k paint.

Is 2k paint durable enough for engine blocks.. ive never heard of that!?

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 02:40:49 pm »
2k paint is one of the most durable paints there is, its fantastic stuff. It sticks like shit to a blanket and its tough, its epoxy so a lot better than air dry stuff.