Author Topic: Valve springs - new or not?  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
Valve springs - new or not?
« on: March 03, 2010, 12:11:16 am »
I'm contemplating fitting new valve springs when I rebuild the head with a Schrick cam. The milage isn't rocketship high at 97k and as everything else so far with the engine has checked out fine I'm wondering whether I need to.
As the good ol' Haynes book doesn't know, can anyone tell me the height of new valve springs so I can compare with mine?

Cheers.

Offline giorgio

• Members
Re: Valve springs - new or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 08:05:01 am »
if yu do change them can I have one of your old ones? Am making a small collection of G40 parts I want to test to failure

Offline Puncharado

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 09:41:05 am »
Did you use the old tappets with the new cam than Rae? I thought that mixing old/new tappets and old/new cam will lead to premature wear of the new parts?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 09:48:32 am »
you should replace the tappets ideally as they wear with the cam.  I don't see the need to replace the springs though, when Allstage did my cylinder head the bloke there said he;s never had to replace polo valve springs and he considers them over engineered with dual springs so says they are plenty stiff enough and never seem to wear out.  I'm surprised that haynes doesn't have free length measurements in at least though.

Offline Karlos the jackyl

• Members
    • VW Polo
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:12:57 am »
I've got a set of new g40 valve springs if your interested!

Offline Puncharado

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:04:37 pm »
I was planning on fitting new tappets anyway, given the substantial cost of all the other new bits needed to rebuild it I think it's worth spending the extra 50 odd quid or whatever. I don't know how much new springs cost, just I expect them to be expensive.