Author Topic: Larger Radiator?  (Read 3243 times)

Offline jimmyb1982

• Members
Larger Radiator?
« on: February 20, 2010, 09:33:48 am »
Is there a larger coolant radiator you can fit the the G40 say from a MK2 Golf GTI 8v or something to keep the car cool or will a larger intercooler and oil cooler keep the car way cool enough? Reason I ask is that during hot summer months my G40 gets very hot especially in slow traffic and I find myself putting the heaters on full bore in order to cool it down!

- Jimmy B

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: Larger Radiator?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 09:52:35 am »
May not be the fact you need a larger radiator it's more likley to be something like thermostat or fan switch maybe check that the fan is working and is cutting into it's second speed at the correct temp. Check the thermostat is working correctly. Another idea that I've seen done ancouple of times is to wire up a switch on your dash to turn the fan onto second speed manualy when you ge into heavy traffic on hot days flick the switch. If none of this works then maybe try and uprated rad but most people find standard one sufficient. Hope this helps 

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 11:01:08 am »
shouldn't be getting to hot mate! might wana look at other parts of the system for a blockage or a coolant flush first. check thermostat is working correctly aswell or just change that as a matter of course. but if you do want a bigger radiator a seat terra 1.4 diesel rad is bigger- but I'm not sure if it fits where the standard intercooler does so you might need a
front mount if you go the bigger rad route.

KiZ

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 11:25:35 am »
I heard a mk3 Golf TDI radiator fits and is better, how true that is I dont know :-\

A dash mounted switch is a really good idea though

Offline benh999

• Members
  • K776PKR finally back home
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:04:44 pm »
Jimmy if I remember correctly you have a g40 conversion dropped into your cl.  If this is so and you are using the standard CL radiator then there's your problem.  I'm pretty sure the uprated radiator was GT/G40 specific. ;)

Offline jimmyb1982

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 04:53:56 pm »
I've just looked and it appears that ever since G40 ownership I have been running a CL radiator lol! Maybe that is the problem  :)

When my '40 hits the road again (hopefully June/July) I am going to look into a new thermostat, fan switch thermostat, a fan switch on the dash, front mounted twin radiator fans, front mounted oil cooler and front mounted intercooler, I may even get the MK3 Golf TDI/Seat Terra Radiator and see how we go from there.

- Jimmy

Offline jimmyb1982

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 05:12:32 pm »
Apparently the Seat Terra radiator is the same as the G40 item however it may be better in some ways being a more modern part! As of the MK3 Golf item, it is a lot bigger and will probably fill the entire width of the radiator cut out on the front end of the car which is good cause it means that you can fit 2 massive inwardly facing fans to the front of the radiator with a dash mounted switch  8)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 05:16:14 pm »
how is a seat terra radiator going to be a more modern part?  terra vans are ancient fiat based things.  The 1W diesel ones do use the same rad as a g40 but it's the same so not any more "modern" or anything.

I'd get a new gt/g40 rad and also flush out the cooling system.  

If you fit a dash mounted fan switch make sure it is an over-ride switch, i.e. make sure the rad switch can still control the fan too or one day you'll forget to switch it on until you see steam billowing out of the bonnet.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 05:19:37 pm by hayesey »

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 09:23:21 pm »
Anyone got some more info on the dash mounted switch? Think i'll try wiring one in myself.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 09:51:54 pm »
I originaly saw robin do it I think in his build thread iirc.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 11:09:28 pm »
sweet, i'll take a look.

Offline jimmyb1982

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 12:14:05 pm »
Ah right I thought that the Terra was based on the MK2 VW Caddy Ibiza front end etc.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 06:50:11 pm »
no that's a Seat Inca