Author Topic: G40s you've got to love them!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1540 times)

Offline benh999

• Members
  • K776PKR finally back home
G40s you've got to love them!!!!!!!!!
« on: February 26, 2010, 04:19:52 pm »
Well folks after buying my G40 a couple of weeks ago I stored it at work whilst I was away snow boarding.  Finally picked her up today and drove her her home.  It wouldn't be a G40 without its niggles and today I had 3 hit me at once.

1.  Insurance company says the Toad alarm/immobiliser fitted to it is not Thatcham approved.  So Max value of car is limited to £2k unless I have another fitted.

2.  Battery was DEAD..... Not too fussed, half expected it to be honest.

3.  However at low speeds there is an annoying knocking noise which is more pronounced if you get the car to kangaroo(judder). almost feels as if something is loose?  This one bugs me an needs to be sorted straight away.  ANY SUGGESTIONS? ???

Besides that she goes and sounds superb.  Got my set of VW tinted green glass to fit into her soon :-).(factory spec only I believe.)

Offline Varley

• Members
Re: G40s you've got to love them!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 04:40:01 pm »
Which TOAD alarm is it mate? I've got a full security database to hand in case they've made a mistake?

Offline benh999

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 05:10:33 pm »
Its a TOAD a101 CL,

To be honest When I bought the car I assumed it was thatcham approved.  Always the same when you look at a car,  When you hear the words "TOAD" ALARM IMMOBILISER you always assume its at least Thatcham Cat 2 .  Few things I missed to be honest.  The knocking is the one noise that has really annoyed me.  Ironically it literally started the day I picked her up :(

Offline Varley

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 05:25:19 pm »
Yep, sorry mate, not thatcham approved - what a stitch up!

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 06:26:22 pm »
Hi Ben,
Check the exhaust where it passes between the body and the tunnel brace just under the gearstick. The wrong sort of exhaust joining clamp (U shaped one) will hit on the brace and make a loud knocking. Proper VW exhaust clamp has better clearance. Had this problem with your old white G40 when I first got it.

Nick

Offline benh999

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 06:45:42 pm »
cheers Nick I'll get under her tomorrow, its bloody annoying but otherwise I'm in love again ;)

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 08:06:07 pm »
sounds like the exhaust catching the small bracket at the end of tunnel

maybe the rubber exhaust hangers have broke or stretched

Offline benh999

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 06:28:48 pm »
Took her out today for an enthusiastic drive.  Old memories came flooding back, off boost she's like a 1.3 shopping trolley, the H+R lowering kit literally had my skull shaking down the back roads, geesh this is definately a kit of main road driving.

Once on boost she is savage and is a bit of an animal,  In the dry she was a treat to drive, however On the way home the heavens opened and as you all know you may as well just tickle her home.

Overall I love my g40 and with a small amount of TLC and a custom map by yoof she'll be perfect :)