Author Topic: Some advise on engines !?  (Read 1502 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Some advise on engines !?
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:25:34 pm »
 Ok I'm probably going to get slated (or at least smited a few times ) for asking this but it's been on my mind for the last week or so just wanted somone elses view on it realy.
   Baisicaly I've striped all the parts off my old 110k 1272cc engine and gt box ready to recive my turbo conversion. I have now got a 1341cc bvh setup aswell basicaly I'm not sure weather to put the turbo on my old engine n get it up and running correctly before removing the old lump n putting the new one in.
  Two main reasons for this are incase I mess anything up and damage the engine in any way then I dnt mind as it's my old engine and I've got a new one any way. Second reason being when I put the new lump in I'll need a atv box paddle clutch and whilst I'm there think I'll be getting a diff probably a quaife atb one wich is going to cost a fair bit, there's also time and effort to factor into this now I've stripped the engine pretty much back to just block and head so would save time if I took it out strgnthend the chassis a little paint the bay and put the new motor in with all other bits whilst I've gone this far if you see what I mean.
     I intend on running around 160bhp untill Im completley ready to get a custom remap and turn up the boost.
     So what would you guys do in this situation ?

Offline LeonL

• Members
Re: Some advise on engines !?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 09:41:10 pm »
Why make double the work?

Put the "proper" engine in

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 09:53:55 pm »
yeah don't see much point doing it all twice.  Just put the decent engine in and double check everything is correct.  It's highly unlikely you'll do anything that's just going to cause it to blow up the instant it's started and you'll always have some teething problems, anyone who says they don't is lying :)

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 10:48:27 pm »
Dunno, im with the old engine option. But then im a tinkerer you see and not a driver so I would say that.

It seems logical to me, get it running on the old engine and then you can have a play about with it without fear of damage, its all about the learning.

Also that way you get to play about with some power, then when your bored you can fit your bigger engine and have a bit more power.

To me it seems like twice as much fun. And it only takes a day tops to change an engine, especially if you have had all the bits off recently.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 06:48:45 am »
I dnt realy wanna make extra work for myself, and I know what haysey means unless I get the timing out I doubt I'm going to blow up the engine if I make a mistake probably just won't run quite rite. But I do see where tommo's coming from aswell. I could always use the engine that's in there whilst I aquire. New clutch quaife diff and atv box but Im not in any major rush.probably put the 1341 in depending on what I decide is the best (read cheapest!) way of getting some cassis strengthening done. Decisons decisons....
   On a side note haysey other than a nice ppp frame what sort of chassis strengthening have you done ?? Just the brace bars on the chassis legs like in this thread http://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7.0.html just wondering what sort of strengthening I should be doing whilstthe engines out. Thanks for the replys
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:58:54 am by dub-disaster »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 09:17:59 am »
I've done various bits of stitch welding and added a brace bar like yoof  has in that thread.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:43:23 am »
Is that just the passenger side you put the brace bar or btu sides??

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 10:15:23 am »
just passenger side on mine