Author Topic: My GT-G40  (Read 117922 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: My GT-G40
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2010, 08:48:24 am »
Just outa intrest I know you probably get a discount but how much where those gaz coilovers as I'm thinking if changing my h+r collies for some gaz as there adjustable dampening rnt they ??

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2010, 12:53:24 pm »
H&R coilies will be a lot better quality than Gaz ones! If you want some damping adjustment, then go for KW variant 2's.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 01:03:54 pm by Nick_S »

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2010, 12:39:21 pm »
hmmm ill look into a set of them i thought gaz made some good quality kit?? i was just going to change the springs for somthing a little softer but i rung up h+r and they dont do different springs on them !!! can i just use some other make springs?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2010, 02:46:22 pm »
I've been really impressed with the Gaz kit

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2010, 06:33:49 pm »
i know h+rs are more expensive but that doesnt mean there better does it?? i just saw the gaz ones have the adjustablity that i want and arn't as expensive as the kw variant two's in you expreince alex when you set the dampening to the softest setting whats the ride like ?? is its still quite stiff or does it loosen up quite alot ??

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2010, 07:45:20 pm »
I've never wound them down to fully soft, but I've got fairly stiff springs on mine anyway. I might go for 225lb 8in springs instead of the 275lb 7in ones I have at the moment.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2010, 10:07:32 pm »
That's part of the reason for changing to gaz I can change my springs or can I use different make springs on my current h&r collies do you think?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2010, 11:20:20 pm »
I dunno, I'd guess so?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2010, 05:48:47 pm »
Put the car on the Max stand at Mod Nats last weekend - perks of the job :D

Shame my wheels hadn't arrived but a session of Dodo Juice did it wonders I reckon...

New rims should be here in a couple of weeks. Looks like they're not going to get here in time for DC :(

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2010, 09:20:40 pm »
Looks fantastic Alex- I think you'll regret getting rid... even if it is for a 5-pot soundtrack.

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2010, 09:24:22 pm »
The car's looking superb in those shots Alex, you must be well pleased. Very impressive spec on it too, I really like it.
Fook knows what that blue thing is next to yours but it looks shite.

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2010, 10:26:46 pm »
Fook knows what that blue thing is next to yours but it looks shite.

On which side? The blue bin or the blue bin?  :D

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2010, 09:37:55 am »
She's going nowhere :) Said five pot soundtrack turned out not to be such a good buy. It would've needed to replace the Passat which, while it's not the most interesting car, is a fantastic daily.

But it's about to leave my hands for a winter resto. It was meant to be going in last year but got held up by one of our other cars coming out. Now I'm just waiting for the new wheels so I can get them shot and in the mag, then it's off to Solihull for bodywork.

I'd say after GTI International it probably won't be back out until UD next year. Rust free and wearing a much better paint job.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2010, 12:23:59 am »
Drip, drip, drip, drip.

Slowest moving project in the history of mankind! :D

Well, there's now a space waiting in the bodyshop for the G40. But since my better half's trusty 206 expired a few weeks back I now have no car to use (she's stolen my Passat until she can find a replacement for the Pug).

So the Polo is now my daily again. Which isn't far from what I'd plan for this time of year. Except I'd have skipped the problems with the coil pack, which ended up being costly.

Wheels are still two weeks off as well. Hoping to get them on before the Polo Show, or I'll be in my tent sulking all weekend. :D

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2010, 06:48:32 pm »
The Polo had a minor service today, just an oil change before it goes into the bodyshop and a new exhaust rubber. Swung by the office on the way back and took this:

Wheels aren't here yet but they're not far off. Had some pre-production pics a week ago, shots of them unpainted, but not sure whether to let everyone know what they are yet. :) If all goes to plan it'll be in the bodyshop as of two weeks today. Genuinely going to miss having it around over the winter, but it'll look factory fresh and (more importantly) be rust free by next year which is a happy trade off.

Does mean a winter with the Passat. Big, smooth, quiet but ultimately not a car that ever raises a pulse. Starting to fancy an MX-5 project for next year, but as Caroline's just picked up a Z4 that'd mean having three impractical (ish) cars in the house and no barge.  :D