Author Topic: Nigel  (Read 8047 times)

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Nigel
« on: February 13, 2010, 10:02:48 pm »
Well finally I get to put a thread in here. A big chuck of the work (IE getting it on the road) has been done on this car but there is much more work to do.

All starts with this

and this.

Basically I bought the engine out of Andy Cohens (old skool G40 owner) old orange G and got the shell from one of Supercharged Spaniels mates in Sunderland. I got the shell for free so it only cost me the cost of transporting it. It used to have bike carbs on and I'm assuming that they weren't installed with a whole lot of care. The wiring was suspect to say the least as you will see in the pictures. How the car didn't end up in a fireball is a miracle. The engine loom was swapped with the engine obviously but the interior loom and front to back loom have been changed too, you'll see why! Pete has been immensely patient with me as it has been sat at the back of his house for the last five months or so whilst one thing or another has been done to it. I've had many issues just trying to get it MOT'd and on the road. I've had to change the all the brakes, the suspension and put in an interior which now consists of scirroco seats and a genesis rear bench. A lot of this has been done on some bloody awfully cold days outside exposed to all the weather.

The car is going to become a bit of a track/strip toy which is why I converted a GT so I wouldnt feel guilty about killing a proper G. I'm not sure exactly what to do with my original G at the moment. I would love to just leave it bone stock and clean it for shows but not really sure I can justify two G's. Time will tell on that one. Anyway some of you may remember the Nigel from when 2FChris had it on club polo but it does appear the shell has gone down hill a bit since then unfortunately.

I've got a few bits to do before it is ready for a track but I'm hoping that it can be ready within a month. Today was spent swapping the rear cylinders over after a rear brake was binding, also took the opportunity to swap all the flexis to braided ones.

A few thanks to various people along the way. Big thanks to Hayesey who swapped the internals of the gearbox over for me after the housing was smashed in the accident and for taking the engine out of the car and picking it up for me with Pete. Yoof has supplied me with a few bits for it along with DK who's part supply I have raided for odds and ends a few times. Rae also deserves a mention for his soldering skills and the odd lift to the chippy!

Biggest thanks go to Pete who has put in hours and hours on this car with me and without whom it would not be possible! Plus I probably owe him allsorts of bits I've mislaid or been without, and also the space.

I'd like to say thanks to GSF for supplying the right parts but that isnt going to happen!

Anyway on to the pics, I havent taken as many as I'd have liked as usual. Cant wait to get blatting around a track in it!

Of course, many of these have been drunk!

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: Nigel
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 10:09:20 pm »
Oh and this is how it stands now, I've wanted a set of Compo MO's for years so this was the perfect chance!

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 06:13:55 pm »
Looks well nice on those MO's Sam. Some good work going on there.
You were right, that wiring was dire - what is the matter with some people?
That orange one had taken a nasty wack. Still anything that gets a bad boy bonnet and "M3" door mirrors out of circulation is all right by me! ;D

Offline NeilG40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 08:04:22 pm »
and "M3" door mirrors out of circulation is all right by me! ;D

dtm mirrors

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 01:21:50 am »
Blimey Chris Foster's old motor has changed a bit!

Will be good to see it packing G40 powahz

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 05:41:44 pm »
good to see it finally get an mot sam!  Any longer in pete's back yard and it'd have taken root.

I'd forgotten about swapping those gearbox internals over, it seems like ages ago!

We'll get a track day booked as soon as you've ironed out the last few niggles and my arm is up to it.

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 05:44:35 pm »
and "M3" door mirrors out of circulation is all right by me! ;D

dtm mirrors

Same shit, different gravy.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 10:31:17 pm »
Well this weekend the car started getting used for what it was built for and I managed to get to pod in it. Ran 14.5 with a far from perfect car. Got an oil seal weeping I think so need to get that sorted. Had to retard the ignition slightly to stop the pinking so hoping for more to come. I've finally sorted the throttle sticking too which was rather annoying, almost every time I changed gear the revs shot up to 3500 thousand revs, all part of the refining process I guess.

On to a track day next, think I'm going to just enjoy what I've got for now before maybe saving up for a subframe from Yoof. I may go for a turbo conversion at some point but for now I'm pretty pleased with it.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 10:36:23 pm »
Subframes are now in stock. Can I just add I used a whole tube of powermix on your arch- good job Polo-PP don't offer bodywork  ;D

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 09:46:20 am »
good effort at the pod :)

pretty pissed off that I cant yet join you at track days but hopefully later in the year.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 10:03:53 am »
Subframes are now in stock. Can I just add I used a whole tube of powermix on your arch- good job Polo-PP don't offer bodywork  ;D

Ha ha not just yet with the subframe. I’ve had a bit of an expensive couple of months so will have to wait a while. Yoof’s bodyshop work did its job! I’m not sure they’d have been happy with me with an arch hanging on by one rivet all the way up the strip. Cheers again dude.

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 02:31:03 pm »
well done

Offline Humble

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 11:50:46 am »
Ah yes! Finally managed to find my old GT...Looks like you've done a good job.

The guy who done the carb conversion made a right pig of it.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 12:40:09 pm »
Cool, when did you have it? What did you do to it etc?

I've got a few pictures to put up from the weekend. Put the head back on after a head gasket failure. Had the head rebuilt with new guides, stem seals and valves seats recut. All seems to be ok, this is after a new radiator too. Its also got a weitec suspension kit on it now which has raised the front a tad. Got a few weeks to sort a few little issues and then it gets it first outing at Oulton Park. Cant wait.

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 06:55:11 pm »
Good to hear you sorted the coolant loss problem, shouldn't have cooked the head too badly that. See you on the 12th November ;D