Author Topic: Twin charged g40  (Read 8064 times)

Offline lance

• Members
Re: Twin charged g40
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 10:20:47 pm »
mate of mine twin charged a rover k series engine witha charger off a new twin charged vw engine and a massive turbo, ill take a couple of pics next time i am thru that way.

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 10:27:36 pm »

Somthing about the VW scene just seems to lack the performance developments that you see in a lot of other scenes

You got 5k to spunk on an engine.

Option 1) 1.3 8v Polo where 300bhp will be a dam miracle

Option 2) 2.something RWD Jap Beast where 5k will get you about 500 easy bhp.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 10:30:54 pm »
yea i know alot of vauxhall boys and they have it rather easy. my mate built a nova turbo with just shy of 400bhp for next to nothing!

another lad come 3rd with his corsa turbo at totb.

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 10:44:09 pm »
The RedTop though is a great engine.  VW 16v engine seems to be designed arse about face.

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 11:02:47 pm »

Somthing about the VW scene just seems to lack the performance developments that you see in a lot of other scenes

You got 5k to spunk on an engine.

I suppose you have hit the nail on the head there perhaps, there just isnt the love for these cars. With a lot of cult cars there are loads of people who wouldnt drive anything else, and they are determined to make their cars the best they can possibly be.

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 11:03:59 pm »
Somebody remind me why we own euro-shitboxes? I used to see the point but I have forgotten
Ha Ha! But quite true!

Just a few months ago I was on the verge of buying said Jap beast and leave the Polo parked for even longer, but reverted back to option 1 and will now probably spend a fair percentage of that 5k on it, and this in addition to the £k's spent first time around. I just hope that I don't regret it when my mate puts a Skyline engine in his 200SX, it's fast as it is with a little over 300bhp from the mildly tuned std engine.

Offline jules

• Members
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 01:33:50 am »
I know its not a proper g40 lump ,but why not try and drop a 170bhp tsi engine in one and get it remapped??? hey presto twin charged polo. lol  easier said than done but possible ;)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 07:22:12 am »
Alot of it boils down to cash- you can do a redtop Nova/Corsa for a pack of fags and 5p, but you still look like Barry.

I prefer the whole package- which is expensive to do, but Polo PP are trying to push the boundaries of the cars more and more, 2008 saw a 13.1 at Santa Pod, 2009 saw a 12.5, who knows what 2010 will bring?

I think the G40 is a great little cult car- personally I don't like Jap Crap, £/bhp it's cheap. But there's something that makes me laugh about the polo  ;D probably a nitrous leak...  ;)

Jules- TSi motors are closer to a G40 than you might think ;) Really Really nice engine, lovely and smooth too. Most OEM will go to this concept (small capacity, forced induction) with as many cogs as they can fit in the box.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 09:47:35 am »

I just don't think that is true.  There's plenty of people doing all that with golfs, passats, corrados etc... it's just the polo scene which is lacking because its too easy to just buy a golf and stick a 20v in it when compared to building a big power polo. 

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 10:47:55 am »
Somebody put a tsi in a Mk1 Caddy so it may fit into a polo.

Side note - Andy I know your Warwick Way - http://nearyou.imeche.org.uk/events/event.htm?eID=3712.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 12:08:42 pm »
mk1 caddy engine bay is a fair bit bigger than a polo one though but since the tsi engine is a development of the 1.4 16v AFH it shouldn't be impossible.  just fitting all the ancillaries and pipework will be the hard work.  plus the wiring.  I'm sure it'll get done at some point though if it hasn't already in europe.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 10:20:42 pm »
mate built a twin charged rover 1.6 engine using the charger from a tsi engine and a massive ebay turbo. pics taken the other day no belt on the charger cos he stopped running it. plus engine went bang but lasted a long time for standard internals just pistons shaved down a little.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 10:23:14 pm by lance »

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 11:01:15 pm »
I like that, it would look real tidy and all if it wasnt for all the blue hose.  ::)

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 11:12:22 pm »
you'll be happy to know tommo the blue pipe is what he gets in intercooler fitting kits dirt cheap from ebay i think. also uses blackbird bike throttle bodies.

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 06:21:14 pm »
Fair do. Blue hose winds me up summot terrible. To me it just screams that whoever has put it on has no taste and wishes to tell anyone that lifts their bonnet that they have 'modified' their car and its super awesome fast bee and ting. Same type of people who fit a dumpvalve and then changes gear when they drive past bus stops to make sure that the whole world knows they are a complete and utter cock.

Am I alone in this view or is anyone else a lover of satin black?