Author Topic: Changing selector rod seal and bush ATV  (Read 12187 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Changing selector rod seal and bush ATV
« on: March 08, 2008, 05:47:08 pm »
Right apologies for lack of photos but it should be easy to follow the steps regardless..  Could this be pinned?

you will need:

3.1 litres of gearbox oil : G 060726A2  (Approx £4 per litre)
Seal: No 085301227 (Approx £4)
Bush:  No 001301209 (Aprrox £4)
A length of pipe about 100mm in length and and wide enough to go over the selector rod
Chisel or something similar
Mole grips

step 1.
undo oil drain on the diff just below passenger side driveshaft and remove oil

step 2.
Using a pair of grips/pliers/mole grips get someone to lightly pull at the bush while you tap the back of the bush with a chisel until it comes free.  Leaving the seal in tact ensures it does not scratch the rod and they will both come off together.

Here is an image of the bush and seal removed

step 3.
Carefully push the new bush down the selector rod and using your bit of pipe carfully tap it into place.

step 4.
Slide new seal paying particular attention to the part numbers on the rubber seal pointing outwards so they can be seen at all times even when in situ.  Use some grease to lubricate the selector rod when doing so and use the metal pipe again and gently tap into position.

Step 5.
From above using a suitable funnel and pipe inserted into the top filling hole about 60mm above the drain hole fill the box with 3.1 litres of oil.  Replace the drain plug and give everything a quick check over and a wipe.

So far it seems its stopped my leak and it also seems to have smoothened the selection of second gear.  I think there was some play on the rod moving between the bush before hand which occasionally would interfere with a smooth selection of 2nd.

Note:  i also used a tiny bit of sealer on the back of the lip of the bush which contacts with the box and used a bit of fine paper to carefully remove a few light scratches on the rod.  nothing major, will be fine without these things being done, personal choice.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 05:53:31 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Changing selector rod seal and bush ATV
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 06:25:26 pm »
You reckon it helped the gearchange much then? I changed the bush on my original G40 'box that is now in bits, I assumed that JP would've replaced it on my current 'box when it was rebuilt 2 years ago - but I suspect that's not the case...

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Changing selector rod seal and bush ATV
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 07:00:21 pm »
[quote pid=226 author=Andy date=1205000726]You reckon it helped the gearchange much then? I changed the bush on my original G40 'box that is now in bits, I assumed that JP would've replaced it on my current 'box when it was rebuilt 2 years ago - but I suspect that's not the case...[/quote]

yeah seems to have helped.  they defo didnt change the bush.

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: Changing selector rod seal and bush ATV
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 08:03:19 pm »
so far dosnt seem to be leaking at all!!

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Re: Re: Re: Changing selector rod seal and bush ATV
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 02:09:52 am »
If this isn't included in a gearbox rebuild then that's quite annoying - it's fucked on mine too.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changing selector rod seal and bush ATV
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 09:27:40 am »
I'll put this into the FAQ section shortly...

Offline Hoppygti

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changing selector rod seal and bush ATV
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 10:12:08 am »
[quote pid=226 author=Andy date=1205000726]You reckon it helped the gearchange much then? I changed the bush on my original G40 'box that is now in bits, I assumed that JP would've replaced it on my current 'box when it was rebuilt 2 years ago - but I suspect that's not the case...[/quote]

Was deffo done on the box that just come back from JP recently.  They were darlings & even changed the starter motor bush too.

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changing selector rod seal and bush ATV
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 12:44:48 pm »
[quote pid=242 author=Hoppygti date=1205143928][quote pid=226 author=Andy date=1205000726]You reckon it helped the gearchange much then? I changed the bush on my original G40 'box that is now in bits, I assumed that JP would've replaced it on my current 'box when it was rebuilt 2 years ago - but I suspect that's not the case...[/quote]

Was deffo done on the box that just come back from JP recently.  They were darlings & even changed the starter motor bush too.[/quote]

well they changed the seal but not the bush.  said they wouldnt change it unless you asked.  which at the time i didnt know about so didnt ask
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 12:46:31 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changing selector rod seal and bush ATV
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 05:34:47 pm »
JP didn't change that metal bush because it's not in the box of replaced parts they gave me back. They did throw in a new drain bung for nothing though.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:37:48 pm by Nick_S »

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
[quote pid=269 author=Nick_S date=1205170487]JP didn't change that metal bush because it's not in the box of replaced parts they gave me back. They did throw in a new drain bung for nothing though.[/quote]

oh dont get me wrong i think theyre good!  very pleased, i didnt request it to be changed so it never did.  should be standard procedure though on a rebuild i think.