Author Topic: My G40...... finally  (Read 38785 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: My G40 is beggining progress, has now been complete..... well almost
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2012, 05:25:09 pm »
Gonna do a separate section for that. I might make a how to guide but i usually forget to take photos. Charger is almost here now. But i wanna drive the car over summer this year as i didnt get to last year so it will take place over winter. Was gonna ask if you got any red injectors.

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2012, 09:32:22 am »
be interesting to see figures as it stands now then g60..

im pretty much following in your foot steps..

a contacted max rpm about some parts.

keep posted about the g60 build i think im a couple months behind you!
i've got my head done am now on the look for 1341 bottom end or price my own

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2012, 02:07:51 pm »
Nice work, feel your pain on the wounded engine. the new build looks the tits!

What size pistons did you go for?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2012, 06:20:29 pm »
Pistons were 77mm so its now a 1341cc. Drives well good off boost and get a good MPG now.

Offline Freddy77

• Members
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2012, 11:54:10 pm »
Mate I I just read this thread even though I pretty much know the spec and the performance speaks for its self when you get behind the wheel I really hope my g40 can come along like yours just without the piston melting mishaps on the way! I'm really glad you haven't sold her as I know no matter how much it costs it still keeps that smile going, we need to get mine on the road as soon as poss!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: My G40...... finally
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2013, 03:11:08 pm »
Ok, its been a while since i updated this but here we go.

Last time i was planning a G60 charger but im happy with the power.

So since then i have been uming and arh ing about water methanol injection. Got a kit and then thought its a waste of money so scrapped that idea. Plus didnt wanna fork out £300 for another remap.

Fitted a 256mm setup, WOW my car actually stops! Amazing brakes and if anyone wants to get a setup like that, i highly recommend it.

Got some TA coilovers but didn't really like them and wanted something a bit better. After lots of looking around and finding out info i narrowed it down to the B12 and H&R cup kit. I went with the cup kit as i wanted the lower stance so i bought that and fitted it last week. Also was lucky enough to fit some adjustable TCA's. Had the tracking done today and now got the camber a -1 degree and castor and toe are spot on for now. (cant be bothered to go down and get the sheet)

My kit was a 60/40 which i think makes the car sit perfectly. Will drop slightly as well. Only been on a few days and need to bed it in but it handles a lot better, i dont know what all the fuss was about in one of the posts about these handling terrible. I think for £340 its bloody good.

Been playing around with a custom made catch tank and have finally got round to fitting it in place, mainly due to being able to place my new air filter down behind the bumper where the charcoal canister used to sit.

Also got a new bumper as i was getting pissed off with a shitty looking front one. Wasnt genuine but i dont care, it looks a thousand times better. Just need to get the red stripe back on. Also put some fly eye on the headlights, not sure what i think still but kinda looking the dark look it gives the car.

Also bought another private plate.

Its been a long near 4 years now (also been bloody expensive) since having this car and modding it and its finally come to an end where im happy with what i have now. Maybe a respray down the future and thats it.

So here is what i have now ended up with.

Thats all for now, well with this car.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:30:28 pm by Jezza-7 »

Offline Freddy77

• Members
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2013, 03:51:15 pm »
Looking really good mate, stance is a lot better with that new suspension, hope to find out how well it handles very soon!

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2013, 04:19:23 pm »
Just read the whole thread james, was a good read. always wondered what your profile picture was... now i know haha

and i love that you kept the G lader. serious man point for manning through 2 engines and still keeping it :D
also love that intercooler soo much! really want to get one made as i dont like the front mount ones.
did the oil cooler make much difference to engine and and oil temps?
Taylor

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2013, 04:30:10 pm »
Haha yeah that pic was from the 2nd time round lol. If it wasn't an original it would of gone turbo.

Cant tell about oil temp as i dont have a gauge yet but it kept the engine water temp down to 80 when cruising, even when giving it some it stays around 80/85. Its deffo worth getting one.

Yeah that i/c is a one of a kind. It was designed on the original one and i think it took them 2 go's before it was correct. If you spoke to radtec they still might have the designs but that was about 3 years ago it was made.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2013, 06:52:55 pm »
With red stripe back on and a good clean :)

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2013, 07:38:07 pm »
Looks spot on this James! Jealous!

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2013, 08:54:02 pm »
whats the handling like on the road with a stage 3 subframe, no arb and the cup kit? much body roll?
still havnt decided yet, want the adjust ability as ive got all the gear to set it up at work, but dont want to run no arb as (so ive been told) you need hard coilovers to compensate for no arb. but harsh coilovers for commuting will be horrid
thanks
Taylor

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2013, 09:17:03 pm »
Looks proper moody now, the wheels and lights work really well with that colour.  ;D

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2013, 10:49:26 pm »
Cheers tom and andy. Just need a respray as paintwork it a little tatty on the driver side but will do for now.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2013, 11:08:21 pm »
I havent had the chance to really drive it hard with the new suspension as its only been on a few weeks and its not been driven for nearly 2 weeks now. Letting it bed in and settle in but i did go round a few corners to see what it was like and it was better than the bilstein shocks i had. Still got body roll but no where near as much. I would say its not far off a perfect setup for road driving. Bilsteins are ment to be good, but they dont go as low which will help the CoG, plus my setup is 60/40 to transfer that weight. Got the 20mm spacers fitted if i want an even 60mm all around.

To be honest, when i 1st had the kit fitted i thought, well these feel just as harsh as coilovers. But im happy with them and at nearly £200 difference, i went with the right kit. Even though its harsh.

When i 1st had the subframe fitted, it transformed the car handling completely. I remember my mate saying, hit that roundabout about 60mph (was fairly big), with the arb could prob manage 40mph max, i looked at him and said are you sure? He laughed and said yeah. So i did what he said and it was like i was driving a different polo. I felt like i could of pushed the car harder as well.

With the adjus TCA's i also run -1 camber now, whether that will make much difference to handling, where as before it was +2 or something.

Coilovers, are expensive, for the price of just coilovers you could get a subframe and sus kit. Antony, Yoof and andy run coilovers but yoof is track and andy (correct if wrong) has more of a track setup and antony has gone for the tack setup as well. Cause mine is more fast road, yet to have a track day i dont want to run coilovers.

End of the day its all down to personal choice.