Author Topic: My G40...... finally  (Read 38777 times)

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: My G40 is beggining progress
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2011, 01:22:58 pm »
Hopefully i will be getting one from justin soon. Where did you get that done?

Mines only de-wedge but i have got gt inlet and vernier. When its on im gonna get andy to remap it.

I could beat one of them by pushing my car lol.

I've done it in a local machine shop, he bored the tb and made a buttefly and i've ported/polished to match the upper part...

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2011, 05:12:19 pm »
Well, i forgot to take pictures but this weekend i put a new gearbox on and while it was off i put on a new lightened flywheel and new clutch. Still have a gearbox problem but hopefully that will be sorted out this week.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2011, 04:01:31 pm »
Well gearbox has all been sorted since then and the new clutch has failed already.

So bought a helix clutch kit, cost a bit but its on and feels about 100% better than the other one from cg motorsport. The quality was soo much better and was better made as you would expect!

Now the transmission is all sorted!

So last weekend i replaced the charger with my new 3k (off the shelf) R1 spec charger. Forgot to take pictures of the porting as it was really well done by jabba sport!

Also the standalone oil supply kit i have had since..... last year has finally gone on.

So i have purchased a PPP subframe and will be getting that fitted by yoof soon.

As soon as thats done and the clutch has covered enough miles, i will be putting on the BVH i have. Its all ready to go on so cant wait to see the outcome of that.

Ah and i bought a devils own water injection kit for £100. Need to get the correct nozzle for the engine and im also thinking of getting a dual connection so i can run to nozzles. Was going to put one into the intercooler as its ally and the other either on the throttle body or the boost pipe (either in front or behing the co pot)

Once all is complete then plan is for andy to remap it in may if i have the time to do it all by then, might be off to lybia at the end of the month!

Here is the kit fitted.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2011, 07:20:44 pm »
Right it has been a while since i have updated this.

Well since the last post i have moved house and been busy really and then about 3 weeks ago i got a stage 3 ppp subframe fitted to replace my pps one. So after having that installed i took it for a drive and the handling was improved again. Big smiles for me. So left yoof's unit and then i was about 40 miles from and there was a supra and it had race him all over. So i did and then regret it as i melted a piston.

Ooppss!! So as i was searching for one, as i wanted the car running for bvf this year, yoof had one that had been fully rebuilt. So went and picked it up from him a few days later.

During the evenings and weekends i spent most of the time getting it ready to go in. But without an engine crane it was a little harder than usual but i coped.

Gave the block a paint and swapped over everything from my old block to the new block then i put it in with my mate.

Then we started putting all the ancillaries back on and the really awkward timing cover.

Then the head was put on and torqued down,

Everything else was reconnected and fitted and was looking really good and clean, except tb as i was waiting for a 51mm.

So me and my mate worked from 11 till 9 on a saturday and it was all done. Forgot to take a final picture though. We also made a modification on the jabba heat shield. We drilled into the filter and used a bolt and two nuts to lock it and secure it in place and then we made a little bracket up to fit the oil catch tank. All worked well and apart from being bright shiny red it looked good.

Unfortunately the next day after towing the g40 up to andy for a remap we struck a problem and took the plugs out to see if there was any oil on them, as we thought it might of been a piston problem. It was very hard to undo and instantly thought this isn't right. So it came put after a lot of hard work and looked like this

Something definitely not right there. Lots of swarf and metal shards everywhere and i thought i hope this isn't a bad as last time. Well that was a misjudgement lol.

Day after this happened i just wanted to take the head off to see what was the damage. After about an hour and half the head was off and looking like this

I turned round to look at the block and saw this

Pretty sure that piston shouldn't look like that.

So after a long two weeks of really putting a new engine back in i left in the same situation as i was in when the piston got melted.
I was thinking of selling up but the amount of power i was making felt a lot more during the remap with 3 of us in the car compared to when it was just me in the car before the bvh went on.

Only option it leaves me with is to get one of my bottom ends re-bored and fit forged pistons and then send my head off to be a bvh. Cant get rid of this car. Love it to much.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 07:23:32 pm by Jezza-7 »

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2011, 10:01:04 pm »
100% Dedication- +1 Beer for you at BVF.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2011, 09:58:48 pm »
Well my engine has been rebuilt and is now in the garage ready to go in. Put everything on the engine as i thought it might be easier to go in tomorrow.

So on my 3rd engine now since the 21st may. Rebuild cost £1510. All vag parts used incl oil pump. Head done by man in shed and looks sweet.

Hopefully this time my luck is better and i get no problems.

Will post up some pics of the rebuild and other bits.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2011, 10:28:35 pm »
1st engine melted piston removed

One of my favourites pics!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2011, 08:31:04 pm »
Well its been a while and now its probably my final update on my g40 as this is what i pretty much wanted to do and i have achieved this over the past 2 years. Suspension is only thing left but thats going to be sorted very soon.

So the new engine went in and he remap was done after it was run in. Put out some really nice power from the remap and i couldn't thank Andy enough for it. Without him i was seriously selling up. So big thanks again.

My engine/chassis finally stands at this:

PSD 65mm toothed pulley kit
Custom made air induction
R1 Jabba charger with boost mod
Custom made intercooler
51mm tb and ported t-piece (big thanks Justin!)
GT inlet
G60 injectors with injector jackets
8mm magnecor leads
Schrick cam
Ported and polished head (man in shed)
1341cc bottom end balanced crank with wossner forged pistons (TSR)
Stainless exhaust and system
Custom made standalone oil supply for G-lader
Lightened flywheel
Helix uprated clutch
Uprated Driveshafts
PPP Stage 3 frame
PPP rear strut brace
Bilstein front shocks

So after many many ££ spent im finally where i wanted to be and im more than happy and im achieving 37.8 MPG which is good.

Just suspension and rolling road to see power, but im not sure if i want to know. I know its the fastest its ever been so i think i will leave it at that.

After 2 months of sitting in the garage a good clean and wax was more than needed

And finally a good sun set

Big thanks to everyone on here that helped me out with advice, parts, charger servicing and everything that made this possible, especially Yoof and Andy of PPP, peteg40, Justin, Antony and TSR for rebuild.

Cheers  8)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 08:33:27 pm by Jezza-7 »

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: My G40 is beggining progress, has now been complete.
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2011, 09:36:33 pm »
Great car mate realy enjoyed the ride in it the other day it's a real credit to you and all the effort you put in keep up the good work !

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2011, 09:41:37 pm »
Surely this is going to pull some of the biggest if not the best bhp figures with a G40 charger! Well done mate looks awesome
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:53:37 pm by etches69 »

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2011, 12:42:17 am »
Well done Jezza for sticking with it.
I've followed this thread from the start and the number of times I've thought "oh no ??? not again - poor ol' Zezza". Many would have thrown the towel in long ago but somehow you managed to keep plugging away and rebuilding it. I'd hate to think what it must of cost you! :o
You really deserve a break with this now, just enjoy it mate.
Good luck with it in the future,
Cheers,
Richard.

Offline dekerf1996

• Members
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2012, 09:55:57 pm »
Wow, some turn around on this. Only just seen this due to your for sale thread.

Great work here, shame you are selling up now, guess needs must though.

What work did TSR do for the rebuild? was it just the bottom end, or did they sort out the head too?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2012, 10:19:39 pm »
TSR did all the bottom end while the head was sent to man in the shed. TSR did a really good job and used all vw parts.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2012, 08:18:57 pm »
Well the red stripe went on and im liking it  ;D

Plus i got some speedlines which im liking too! Hopefully get some wilwood's under them soon

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:20:41 pm by Jezza-7 »

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: My G40 is beggining progress, has now been complete..... well almost
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2012, 05:15:46 pm »
Looks good on the wheels- when's this G60 getting bolted on?  ;D