Author Topic: My G40...... finally  (Read 38790 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: My G40 is beggining progress
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 11:13:49 am »
Cheers daryl

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 06:04:00 pm »
Gorgeous car fella, can't help but think a cheeky red stripe in the bumpers would be perfection!! And that intercooler is awesome, first time i've looked at your thread. Well impressed.

Rich

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 09:07:36 am »
I noticed that you have removed the exhaust side mount of the g-lader! Not a good Idea mate, it will put stress on the belt side and you will, overtime, have problems with it!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2010, 07:25:31 pm »
Cheers rich, i like the red stripe in them but not sure if i like it the way mine is at the moment.
Trying to keep the car looking standard so i thought the intercooler was a good idea, maybe a red stripe....
Will ask around how is the best way to get a stripe.

GR40- I have already done one belt but i have seen a few people without it. I think after xmas i might look into a ppp manifold, thanks though  :)

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 11:33:32 am »
I noticed that you have removed the exhaust side mount of the g-lader! Not a good Idea mate, it will put stress on the belt side and you will, overtime, have problems with it!

Nah, it'll be fine.

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 05:12:01 pm »
I did my bumpers with some (I think) 8mm red strip from halfords, drops in easily, and its easy to whip off if not to your taste. Either way, whole thing is gonna be awesome.
Big thumbs up fella  :)

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2010, 07:14:31 pm »
I did my bumpers with some (I think) 8mm red strip from halfords, drops in easily, and its easy to whip off if not to your taste. Either way, whole thing is gonna be awesome.
Big thumbs up fella  :)
6mm tape ;)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2011, 07:02:46 pm »
Well since the last rolling road i did, i haven't really done a lot. Bought a BVH that was done by jabba. Porting looks tip top. Also bought a R1 charger, 3k miles from brand new off shelf. Porting looks soo much better than the PSD one thats currently fitted. Will be nice to see if there is any boost pressure differences when thats fitted. So now i have 3 chargers.

Bought a new clutch kit recently, when the box comes off for its rebuild then that will be going on, along with the lightened flywheel. Going to give the quaife diff a miss. Once the box is on it will be getting an MOT. Then its head off, charger off and replace a few parts like a knock sensor as mines seen better days and ISV.

Once thats on then i will be getting the car either driven or trailered to andy for a remap. Should be ready for april/may.

So, what i have done is fitted my newschrick cam and tappets. All lubed up and was a fairly easy task.

Here's new tappets

Then the 2nd and 4th bearing caps on, stage 1 torque.

All caps on, stage 1 plus the 90 degree final torque stage and new rocker gasket. Pic awaiting.

And new oil seal crank pulley end.

Once the head goes on then its all seals and gaskets replaced as well as thermostat housing, sensors and senders (oil and water).

Not gonna do waterpump as it was only done 4 months ago. All from vag and cost alot in the end. Oh well, i think in the long run its pays to buy the vag gear.

Except head bolts, £60 is alot when GSF do them for something like £2 a bolt. 2mm shorter but would that make a difference?

When the gearbox is off i will get some pics of it coming off as well as the clutch and flywheel replacement.

Hopefully if there done in time i will get a 51mm tb from justin before the remap.

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 09:32:40 am »
Sweet Jezza, i love it!
Is that the G40 specific 252/276 camshaft?
Are you going to use a vernier pulley?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2011, 08:57:28 pm »
Ooo good question, i forgot what cam it is. Will check.

Already running a vernier pulley set to 5 advanced.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2011, 08:59:08 pm »
Yes it is Asym. Camshaft (252° / 276°) for the VW Polo G40.

You got one?

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 09:42:14 pm »
Yes, i have a 252/276 cam too,a 51mm throttle body, an extra g lader which is ported with 65mm pulley and chip match all the mods (i have to buy a vernier pulley at one point!), but i unfitted all these from my car, due to economic crisis and high fuel price... Lets wish we'll see better days!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2011, 12:14:27 pm »
What power was you running and how did you find the cam? Im on 150 atm but should see 160-170 with cam and big valve head.

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2011, 09:50:45 pm »
What power was you running and how did you find the cam? Im on 150 atm but should see 160-170 with cam and big valve head.

Well, i felt that it was a bit laggy after the cam installation to be honest... If i had a vernier pulley a gt inlet and a better mapped chip, propably the responce of the engine should be much better...

If i were you, i would opened my tb to 51mm (i remember that you have only de-wedged your tb). I paid 85euros and i haven't regret it at all...
As for the power figures you are right...

P.S: With the mods you have done can you beat a cammed 106 rallye? ;D

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2011, 11:15:55 pm »
Hopefully i will be getting one from justin soon. Where did you get that done?

Mines only de-wedge but i have got gt inlet and vernier. When its on im gonna get andy to remap it.

I could beat one of them by pushing my car lol.