Author Topic: Weird Hesitation  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Varley

• Members
Weird Hesitation
« on: February 17, 2010, 01:45:59 pm »
Lads,

Getting a strange inturruption to power above about 3k, like a sort of stutter before getting back in it's stride? Not siomething I've come across before.

More likely ignition or fuelling do we reckon? Definitely not air related, checked for leaks, butterfly valve closing properly etc.

Had some overfuelling issues on start up recently which seems to have been sorted by replacing blue temp sender, also recent new alternator, voltage across battery above 13V at all times. Think my plugs and leads are a couple of years old now so should probably chenge them come payday anyway but would be nice to explore anything else it might be, worried I could cause damage if it's a fuelling issue.

Cheers!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Weird Hesitation
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 02:03:21 pm »
A stutter?

We had robin's start to blow the spark out at about 194bhp- although I know this is a little more than you're running.

I'd put money of fueling if your pumps are original equiptment.

Do you have a wideband? Might be worth investing in one for the sake of your engine...

Offline Varley

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 11:14:57 pm »
Cheers for the replies guys,

How could I check if the fuel pumps are working correctly? Got a wideband but sat in my room, Not got a gauge with it and they're eye watering £££! On the list for 2010 though.

Hall sender seems a good shout, will replace and report back...

Nice one.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 02:42:33 pm »
can check fuel pressure by connecting a pressure gauge up to the test point on the end of the fuel rail, to really test though you'd need to plumb the gauge up inside the car so you can see the pressure at high load & full boost.  It should read 43.5 psi (3 bar) plus what ever the boost gauge reads.  So if you see 10psi boost then you should see aprox 53-54psi on the fuel pressure gauge.

I'd get that wideband fitted ASAP though.  A knackered engine will cost more than a wideband gauge. :)

Offline jimmyb1982

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 04:46:51 pm »
Yeah, Get the pump checked and also get the injectors reconditioned or replaced if you haven't done so all ready. That plus the hall sender people are mentioning  :)

Offline Varley

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 05:04:14 pm »
Hall Sender is £80! Sh*t the bed! Gonna change plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm this weekend and see what's what...