Author Topic: Phew, I'm a happy man!  (Read 3489 times)

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
Phew, I'm a happy man!
« on: December 22, 2009, 09:35:24 pm »
Ref: - I want to strip and inspect my G-Lader but I'm not 100%!

Split the charger open this afternoon, what a relief, everything looks OK  ;D I guess perhaps the slight gritty feeling was due to 5 year old oil.
Pete, I see what you mean about the apex seals being cut, these are around 8-10mm short. And after reading some of your other posts on this subject, how can I tell if all the seals and bearings were changed by Jabbasport? I've obviously never seen inside an original charger.
Rebuild kits - what's the current price and availability, and do you supply all lubes/grease etc, are they anything specific? Do you use a hot air gun to remove/refit all the bearings?

I want to include pictures, but keep getting an error message.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Phew, I'm a happy man!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 10:08:36 pm »
too short ones is common, they can shrink with age - but not ideal as they can jiggle back and forth and wear the slots.

As for jabba - chargers are inscribed inside/outside with date and serial number. They tend to use NAK  oil seals (but often ahve the original end seal - which will have vw part number on it)

The rebuild kit, i can get everything within a week (touch wood) am using last in stock at moment.  The lube - no i dont currently supply... either use the PTFE club g40 sells or buy kluber grease through g-ladersiete.de  - pretty specific  £185 for a kit

removing bearings - use an oven actually! a small baby belling thing.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 10:26:31 pm »
what if you don't have a small baby belling thing?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 10:29:36 pm »
i used my house oven!

can use a heat gun, (esp on the outlet part - as it takes some removing!) but i like to control the temps

Offline Puncharado

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 11:29:30 pm »
So what of temp do you set it then Pete? I've got access to ovens in work, but have no issue using my kitchen oven!

As it stands at the moment I've got the belt off and the pulley from the main shaft, but couldn't shift the pulley on the secondary shaft. This has the lip at the bottom instead of the top, but I guess that's normal as both timing arrows are visible. I can't see any thing holding the shafts in now but they don't seem to want to move - are there circlips under the oils seals? I've refrained from using a mallet!

I'm not going to get my hands dirty again now, so will check the oils seals later. There's no sign of grease in the bearings that are visible, plenty of oil though.

No immediate rush on the rebuild kit though, I'll probably PM you in a few weeks, if that's OK.

Thanks for the help and info, much appreciated. And still no joy adding photos.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 11:34:26 pm »
pm me yr email mate - i'll send you a file - its draft but gives you an idea.

Offline Puncharado

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 11:57:13 pm »
Done Pete, thanks.

Offline NeilG40

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 04:20:37 pm »
Well I finally got around to opening up my charger and to my eyes it looks ok, there's a layer of oily grease on the inside which has probably protected it from the elements in my damp garage.

Offline Puncharado

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 11:06:17 pm »
Glad to hear that Neil!