Author Topic: Which dump valve?  (Read 11853 times)

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
Which dump valve?
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:18:41 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good recirculating dump valve? What one are you using, the Forge one looks ideal but is a bit on the expensive side.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Which dump valve?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 08:34:26 pm »
was using a normal VAG black plastic one but it popped on the last track day I did.  It's a recirc but was just letting it vent to air.  I was going to suggest the Tial recirc valve but if the Forge one is too expensive I'd not even bother looking up how much the Tial one is.

I'm currently using a crappy aluminium one that a mate gave me when he found it in his shed, as a stop gap.  It's not a recirc though anyway.

I reckon the standard VAG plastic job would be ok unless you're at 20+psi boost and/or doing track days, unfortunately I'm doing both those things and the standard one couldn't cope.

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • GT40 - AE86C
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 06:09:40 am »
I think an aluminium (or other metal) is ideal for recirc valve, especcially if it's mount near to the turbine outlet, because the hi-temp. Some people change the stock plastic one on a 1.8T, because it's a piece of s#!7 even on a stock engine it goes deffective. The Forge one is expencive, but I think there's a reason for this price ;) Anyway, at e-bay You can find a good aluminium recirc Forge-replica's at lower price  8)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 09:51:36 am »
but I would question whether the seal inside (which is what blew on my plastic one, it still looks intact from outside) is any better than the normal VW one when buying stuff off ebay.

I'm saving up for a Tial style one.  But not recirc. 

Do you mean the compressor outlet?  The turbine is on the exhaust side.  I have my DV right after the compressor outlet so I suppose charge temps here will be at their highest so it'sa fair point that I hadn't really considered before.

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • GT40 - AE86C
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 02:02:44 pm »
but I would question whether the seal inside (which is what blew on my plastic one, it still looks intact from outside) is any better than the normal VW one when buying stuff off ebay.

I'm saving up for a Tial style one.  But not recirc.  

Do you mean the compressor outlet?  The turbine is on the exhaust side.  I have my DV right after the compressor outlet so I suppose charge temps here will be at their highest so it'sa fair point that I hadn't really considered before.

Of course, my bad. I mean the compressor outlet.

I think the reason to use a recirc is the same as the use of the boost return of the stock G40 - the sound. Anyway, I like the sound that say to the other "Caution, forsed induction!!!" I think to use this one for not recirc DVhttp://tuning-parts.bg/browse/product/id/121/Raztovarvasht+Klapan+Type+SHPL

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:17:28 pm »
you've got recirc mixed up, a recirculating DV would be like this:

and a non-recirc is:

you're getting them the wrong way round but I'll let you off since your english is still very good!

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 03:17:43 pm »
for me i want the stealth a little more. Never been a big fan of loud woooooshing dump valves. I've looked at the forge and bailey recirc units but not ordered one yet.

Cant say ive ever heard of good or bad on either brands but if the forge valves arnt that great then i guess it will be bailey for me.

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 04:16:43 pm »
not had any issues with my plastic VAG one, i am running 21/22psi. mines fitted so that its re-circ.

no doubt it wil split soon but i have a couple in the boot as spares!

Offline breadman

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 07:07:10 pm »
Thanks for your help guys.
I'd intended to go for a Forge or Bailey R.D.V. but wondered whether I really needed an alloy one? There are some other cheaper "replica" ones on Ebay as Doc J said, which might be worth a try?

@ Rae, who is it that keeps telling you to remove the standard Bosch or Forge one on the S3?
Not being funny, but do these people really know what they are talking about through experience or is it just hearsay? I always thought that Forge equipment was very good? And it seems Robin and co. seem happy enough with the standard Bosch unit?

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 07:51:11 pm »
The plastic Bosch ones come in a variety of flavours, whether it's the installation location or the part itself, I'm not sure - but in the 20vt application they don't seem to last too long.

Having said that, my Saab's still on its original one and has been running over 20psi of boost for the last 50k and has done 197k in total. It's just started to go spesh now, so it's had a good innings!

Offline breadman

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 08:31:53 pm »
Cheers Rae, let us know if its foobared.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 09:50:42 pm »
I'm not happy with the standard bosch unit it blew and left me with no boost half a lap round oulton park!  Finished the track day by bunging a screw driver handle into the DV connection hole and running with no DV for the rest of the day.

But then if you're not going to be at 20+psi and/or not giving it the punishment of a track day then you might be fine with it.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 10:22:37 pm »
What broke on yours Hayes?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 11:06:53 pm »
can't really tell, obviously an internal seal as it was just open all the time. The spring isnt broken though

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 10:10:41 pm »
Anyone got any experience of the Bailey recirc valves?