Author Topic: Oil brake bleeding  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Oil brake bleeding
« on: January 11, 2010, 09:47:10 pm »
Im gonna do this soon as well as disc's pads and rear shoes and hubs and braided hoses.

Am i right to say drain the whole system, fit hoses, make sure all connections are tightened up, put brake fluid in resivoir to full line, then use bleed nipple to individualy bleed till air free from the brake line, then replenish as necessary?

What brake line oil should i use, standards dot 4? or 5.1?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Oil brake bleeding
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 09:50:47 pm »
I wouldn't drain it as it'll be harder to bleed.  Just replace whatever parts, open the nearside rear bleed nipple and keep pumping the pedal until the header tank is nearly empty, then fill it with new fluid and keep pumping until new fluid is coming out at the back.  Top up the tank at various points part way through to make it sure it never empties.  Then bleed all the others till there is new clean fluid coming out of all of them. 

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 09:57:09 pm »
Make sure the rear bias valve is held open, otherwise the rears won't bleed. I used an eezibleed pressureised kit, super easy but had to keep pumping up the spare tyre, ha ha! I didn't drain it but used the pressure to push out the old fluid, go round the car starting with rear passenger and work towards the front driver (furthest first, closest last), opening each nipple and waiting for new fluid and no bubbles. Keep a close eye on the reservoir while bleeding, DO NOT LET IT GET LOW, you'll put air in the system and at best you'll have to do it again, at worst you'll have no brakes when you want them.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 04:26:17 pm »
How much fluid would you usually use to do this? ive got a 2L bottle but im wondering if thats enough?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 04:48:34 pm »
should be easily enough yes, think i used about half a litre filling mine up (although it only has a single front-rear pipe).