Author Topic: intresting g40 on ebay...  (Read 10896 times)

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Thanks again all :)  I am chuffed to bits with it!

I've looked the car up with VW and it's the original colour.  Registered 01/08/1993.  I've sent off for a duplicate service book with the stamps for the dealers which are still open so that will all be up to date.  I've ordered some bits from VW already which should turn up soon and get the car looking nice again.

There is a lil' VW Show & Shine in the town nr me this evening but the car isn't insured atm and I won't have time to clean it up until the weekend :( How annoying!  

If you don't mind I'm happy to start a project thread with updates on how I'm getting on with it over the next few months?  I could (obviously!) talk about G40's all day but some ppl might get ZZzzzzzz lol

FYI here's my other olop from a few years back .... apologies in advance if anyone now owns this and it broke!  Although it was looked after it was my only car and I did tend to drive it like I stole it wherever possible!

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
You know too much Nick!  How can you tell it has early spec lights?  I thought they must  be all the same! Maybe true re VW hanging around until L reg as it was registered on the first on the month of the new reg.  
I would've thought no one ordered it in that colour as it's non-metallic and really not that great compared to Windsor Blue etc if you are ordering from new (IMO) but I'm pleased with the colour now esp if there's no many around in that colour!

Compared the lights on my two G's.  Is this the difference?

Gemma
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:35:02 am by jimbugalee »

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Oooh I have been proved wrong.  My car was built on 2nd June 1993 in the Pamplona factory in Spain.  I guess they waited for the L registration!

I also found out that the partially dimmed lights were an option and there was no date break in the not dimmed ones so I'm assuming they were available throughout the model years?  I suspect that the dimmed ones were put with certain colours i.e. black, grey or if a customer requested them.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
[quote pid=2263 author=jimbugalee date=1215505451]If you don't mind I'm happy to start a project thread with updates on how I'm getting on with it over the next few months?  I could (obviously!) talk about G40's all day but some ppl might get ZZzzzzzz lol[/quote]

no chance of that we are all geeks alike here lol

The tinted rear clusters, from what i found, were on the later reg cars, ive owned a few L reg standard polos that didnt come with tinted rear lights.

Could also have cracked them at some point and had them replaced

but hey, im sure you can get some bought!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:56:39 am by DKnight »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
its normally run out polos - L and M reg ones that have tinted rear clusters and late late g's have clear front indicators

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
Most RHD drive G40s were made in a few batches early in 1991. Maritime blue was only available in the later brochure so there probably aren't any early ones in that colour. Your car would have been built to order at that date. I doubt someone would swap tinted lights/clear indicators for normal ones so it probably came like that (all the plastic bits have date stamps so you can usually tell what's been replaced).

Looks like you got a good car for your money. Being fussy, it's missing the black vinyl surround on the number plate. They are obselete from VW but I think someone was doing reproductions.

Nick

Offline NeilG40

• Members
[quote pid=2300 author=G40supercharged date=1215556589]
Looks like you got a good car for your money. Being fussy, it's missing the black vinyl surround on the number plate. They are obselete from VW but I think someone was doing reproductions.

Nick[/quote]

http://www.volkswagenstickers.co.uk/index2.php?cmd=search&cat=10

Never used them but saved the link just in case.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Ah ty guys I am on the case re that number plate surround.

Yesterday's genunie VW goodies included  -themostat (how anyone can drive a car around and NOT notice that the temperate does not rise about 70 is beyond me), little plastic 'thing' where the parcel shelf strap attaches to the inside of boot, Original Polo Manual (mine is a bit tired looking) and the best of the lot ......... Towing eye cover!!! now obsolete since I bought the last one! Actually I think there is one left at the factory.

Please feel free to call me sad! hehe
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 09:30:56 am by jimbugalee »

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
hope your bumper is up to it as you will now have a shiney new looking cover! spaniel says that a heat gun is good at getting them back to black!

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
That is in fact my job for the weekend!  I'm going to borrow someone's elses Dub to test it on first! hehe  If not, I shall buy new bumpers from VW if it all goes wrong :(

Looking forward to heat gunning it ... I'm thinking I'm good with a hair dryer, what's the difference?! ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 09:46:37 am by jimbugalee »

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
I got the missus out the other week with a heat gun and it has made a world of difference, the front one needs doing a couple more times but it really does work.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
whats the difference haha

do your hair with a heatgun and then you will see!