Author Topic: I want to strip and inspect my G-Lader but I'm not 100%!  (Read 10902 times)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: I want to strip and inspect my G-Lader but I'm not 100%!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 08:10:25 pm »
quite simple yeah

Offline NeilG40

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 08:11:34 pm »
I think I might have a go this weekend then.

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 08:43:22 pm »
hi guys,

regarding the porting, what pieces do they actually port is it just the inlet and the fins on the outlet side.  Is it just removing meterial to the thinest size safely possible??

cheers grant

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 09:21:50 pm »
no they remove it a fair few places on the charger... .and its al about flowing not just thinnest

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 09:34:29 pm »

I should probably crack mine open sooner rather than later, at least I'll know. All jokes aside though, I'll be properly devastated if I've f*cked it up due to my own neglect.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 09:34:35 pm »
i'd not run it on a lathe without an oil supply to be honest
we did fill the oil feed up with oil and the bearings where greased when we put them in, hopefully wasn't too bad then!

Offline NeilG40

• Members
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 09:52:17 pm »

I should probably crack mine open sooner rather than later, at least I'll know. All jokes aside though, I'll be properly devastated if I've f*cked it up due to my own neglect.

Yeah I know what you mean.

Offline Puncharado

• Members
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 10:57:38 pm »
5 years of not caring, 4 days and 32 posts as a member, 10 hours since I started this topic, and now I can't wait any longer to find out! I was going to do it right now, but don't have pullers at home to take the pulley off  >:(
I suppose the fact its turning at all is a fairly good sign, it could have been worse. And another good sign - I've taken the outlet elbow off, and there's a nice coating of oil in there. So either way, I'm gonna know tomorrow.....
Is there a best way to actually split it?
Timing belt cover off first, but which orientation is best for splitting it? I'm not too bothered about rebuilding it ASAP, but I just want to know if it's OK!! A couple of tips for the next step from all you G-Lader gurus please!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 08:25:55 am »
take pulley off using a chain whip and something to stop it marking the pulley (card/rag etc) use a 17mm spanner to remove centre nut.  Once removed, remove the pulley, it often pulls off with a little leverage - i've never needed a proper puller.  I have one of these if needed!

with the L shaped attachment

then remove the mounting plate/bracket - 3 or 4 13mm head bolts.

Then this you get to the lader, 6mm hex heads - undo these all way round - 6 of them - and remove.

You should now see 3 flats where the casings go together.  Get a drift - wood or something and gently tap the outlet casing progressively on the 3 flats.  it should start to part and you should be able to pull apart.  DON'T knock it all the way apart or it could come apart and bash the scroll.

This should then show you one side of the scroll.

Then easiest is to refit pulley, without the bolt and rest it on the flat side of the pulley so it faces up.

Remove the outer circlip and then the counterweight should pull up.  If its stiff use something like the tool shown above to pull up.

This should show a keyway.  Get some side cutters and hold on tight, pulling sideways to remove, but watch out you dont hit the scroll.

The scroll should then pull up!!!

Pete

Offline Puncharado

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 09:36:17 am »
Thanks Pete, I was a little wary of levering the pulley off, don't want to damage the mounting plate. Rather than trying to do it here at home without proper tools I'd better take to mam and dad's, most of my tools are in their garage - I don't know how they've put up with me over the years, I have a part built kit car in the garage too, ironically I bought it for something to thrash so I could keep the G mint!
Wish me luck, I'll let you know the outcome later today.

Good to see people DIY although they're still an expensive mistake!

We all have to start somewhere Yoof - I'm sure you remember popping your cherry! For me, mistakes at work could be far more expensive, but when it's your own money....

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 09:44:56 am »
i remove the pulley when its still on the mount in the car - far easier!

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 12:40:28 pm »

i wouldn't like to run it on a lathe at all, i use lathes on a daily basis and there's a slight chance it could grab and totally destroy the charger, there only ally remember, a purpose built machine is the way forward,

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 01:07:28 pm »

i wouldn't like to run it on a lathe at all, i use lathes on a daily basis and there's a slight chance it could grab and totally destroy the charger, there only ally remember, a purpose built machine is the way forward,

a running in machine would be excellent, just strapped it to the pulley, the glader is is really efficient so it posed little resistance when it was turning on the lathe

Offline NeilG40

• Members
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 11:47:27 am »
Well mine's off the car and sat in a box at the side of me, next thing is to open it up.