Author Topic: How the hell do you keep the power down.  (Read 4014 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: How the hell do you keep the power down.
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 07:09:53 pm »
I found the yokos great in the dry but terrible in wet and I too found they just melted away! The toyos are ok to be fair. I'm tempted actually to possibly invest in a subframe. I know I'm all into oem and all that but if it really enhaces the driving experience I could be swayed. Plus it's removable isn't it. Along with you giorgio a load of people have said the H&R kit is a world away from the phil j ki. Can't grumble for the price of the phil j kit though in comparison.

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 08:36:55 pm »
I think tyres are one of those things where people have to try them for themselves to get the best idea. Once you leave the Nippon Slipoffs behind and move into the premium brands there seems to be a lot of varying opinions on the same tyre. Yoko's are a classic example.

FWIW my next tyres will be Toyo's as they were what I had on my red G and they were way more consistent than anything else I've used.

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 08:53:32 pm »
sometimes it down to tyre size and availability also, i rin 175,50,14's atm and its sonar's lol, i run continental sport contact 2 and 3's onmy ibiza an there great. yoko's i dont rate themmuch ! and eagle f1' found were pretty good all round.
iuse budgets because i work for kwik fit my discount is great plus i go throo alot!

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 09:44:57 pm »
Ive got some P600's on mine that I got off DKnight and its stupid in the wet, 4th gear before you can stick the boot in a bit.

I ran Yoko A048's for a short time, Medium compound, and they were amazing in the wet. Even on the motorway with a lot of surface water they were great. Just a shame I killed them off in 1000 miles lol.

Offline wozzaG40

• Members
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 08:52:40 am »
The thing is we are all trying different tryes on differrent cars, all with slightly different suspension, power delivery and characteristics. So for us to make a valid comparison it's near as impossible usless we use the same car and try all of the tyres, who wants to the the guinea pig lol. (i have a feeling i like the word different)

Personally for grip/price i will continue to buy A539's, yes they are not great in the wet but then in theory you shouldnt attempt to drive a 19 year car with "shopping trolly" suspension fast in the rain.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 09:00:08 am by wozzaG40 »

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 03:07:15 pm »
Hi guys. Been out of the scene for a while (car off road for 5 years!) and need to catch up!
What's this about PPP subframes and Gaderseite blocks? I don't know what you're all talking about!
And as for tyres, I also have Uniroyal tyres on the car, and from what I can remember they were quite good, but they are 195/45/15. Even so, the wheels were too big for the car, ruined the agility. 14's for the revival!

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 03:20:44 pm »
Well PPP is the company run by yoof and his brother Andy on here.  Polo Performance parts.  They sell exhausts and chips, do mapping and have been very active over the last few years developing a range of modifcations particularly with G40's.  The subframes they sell are well exactly that, a subframe. Fits on the existing mounting points under the engine.  I dont have first hand experience of this as I don't have one and haven't been in a car with one but the quality of the stuff they have had fabricated is always top quality.  As a consequence they dont come cheap though but I've never heard of anyone complaining about the parts they've bought from them. 
As for the G ladersiete anti roll bar blocks.

http://www.g-laderseite.de/eshop/product_info.php?products_id=120&language=en&osCsid=210f4cd7325536457c717a711234b9d0

Many owners swear by them as a good modification if you have lowered your car.  These blocks will pull the anti roll bar back into the position it was meant to be.  Good quality stuff.  This kit shown on the link includes bushes for the outer joints of the bottom arms too and rear axle bushes.  I never fitted the rear bushes though as I'd heard they're a bit harsh and as a daily car I decided it was not for me.  You will not need these if you purchase a subframe though as it does away with the anti-roll bar.  Hope this helps.  Dan
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 03:22:18 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 03:59:49 pm »
Cheers Dan. I should have guessed PPP since I've been browsing at the exhaust systems thread!
Front roll bar and rear beam already have polybushes fitted, and the lower arms were brand new VAG items fitted at the same time. They only had a year of low milage use, but are now over 6 years old! As long as they're OK they'll stay on the car for a while. But know I know what the the alternative is!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 07:01:43 pm »
I have uniroyals on mine, proper decent tyres last a bit longer than proxies n are way better in the wet

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 07:38:19 pm »
I ran Yoko A048's for a short time, Medium compound, and they were amazing in the wet. Even on the motorway with a lot of surface water they were great. Just a shame I killed them off in 1000 miles lol.

that's amazing, I found the exact opposite.  I almost killed myself on the M67 once with A048s on & standing water.  Aquaplaned right onto the hard shoulder and I couldn't steer until I was on to tarmac that didn't have standing water on it.  I love the tyres on dry tracks and keep a set on my second set of wheels but I dont use them on the road anymore (plus like you say they dont last five mins).  Get about two track days out of a set.