Author Topic: 2nd hand ko3  (Read 12864 times)

Offline Tommo

• Members
Re: 2nd hand ko3
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 09:45:50 pm »
My rad is below my intercooler so it has no effect really. But I wouldnt worry too much, at speed my car runs a bit cold if anything, and in traffic you have your fan to draw air through.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 09:57:56 pm »
Ok not so sure what to do now! I can get a 4x4 cossie intercooler for £35 or pay £80 for a thinner one that I can mount rite out front rather than behind the grill as I would with the cossie one wich one would give better cooling?? Because if there both roughly the same then I won't bother paying the extra £45!! Ne ideas tommo don't suppose you eer measured your charge temp after the cooler have you??!! Whats you opinions

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 10:47:33 pm »
buy which ever one you can fit the easiest and in the best position on the car to get as much airflow as possible. 

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 05:48:25 pm »
Ne ideas tommo don't suppose you eer measured your charge temp after the cooler have you??!! Whats you opinions

Nah, I could do with fitting some thermocouples really but I never got round to it.

Bear in mind that to fit the cossie IC I had to cut a lot out of the front of my car, and had to reposition the rad in a totally new place, with new pipework. And I lost the standard bonnet catch mechanism.

If you arent bothered about hiding it then Im with hayesey, get somthing big and get it on there.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 07:44:31 pm »
Thanks for your help tommo been most helpful :D

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 08:12:13 pm »
You can hide huge intercoolers on G40s, there's loads of room at the front!

Mine:

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 11:04:55 pm »
That is pretty big man! Is that one of those custom o es you had ? Did you have to move much to get it in there? Looks nice and stealth though , cheers yoof

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 11:51:20 am »

Not totally true Pete.
Yes you can run a large intercooler like yours if you can get one with reward facing inlet and outlet stubs. However, these aren't widely available, unless you buy a custom made or specifically made one like you have. And that means expensive.
The majority of intercoolers available (not the less reliable plastic end tank O.E. type fitted to some BMW and VW turbo diesels) virtually all have inlet/outlets facing outwards. Loads of different ones available from the shops on Ebay. By the time you put elbow hoses on the end it severely restricts the overall width of intercooler you can use. IIRC there is only about 800mm between the chassis rails, so not much room for a decent size one at all.

I think Antony is thinking of using one of these types? These are cheap enough and look pretty, but you do need a fair amount of depth and width to fit them. Most cars do have enough room, which is why they are made this way. However, the Polo doesn't - and my MK2 is far worse!

And Pete, I HATE your intercooler!!! >:( >:( :D :D   

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 01:17:46 pm »
Not totally true Pete.
Yes you can run a large intercooler like yours if you can get one with reward facing inlet and outlet stubs. However, these aren't widely available, unless you buy a custom made or specifically made one like you have. And that means expensive.  
If you shop around, there are OEM intercoolers with rearward facing outlets that are a similar core size to the PSD setup that Yoof uses that can be had for cheap. It's not rocket science, and compared to a lot of boosted motors there's plenty of frontal space on a Mk3 Polo for a decent intercooler.
The old PSD setup like Yoof's got is pretty good, mounts nicely, fits well, flows well and is a good size. Emtec do a similar setup with their turbo kits.
If you think a Mk2 is tight, try a Mk1. Our Polo-PP project Mk1 will have the rad in the boot and will still need a lot of tinkering to get a decent-sized cooler in.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 01:19:41 pm by Andy »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 04:06:38 pm »

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 10:07:03 am »
Intercooler envy LOL  ;D You can buy it for £450  :P

As Andy says there are several OEM intercoolers that will fit just fine, get down a scrappy with a tape measure!!

Stu 'Snow Plough' Baxter still holds the G40 intercooler record  ;D

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • GT40 - AE86C
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 10:26:16 am »
That's mine, but it's not hidden:

I needed to cut a lot of my front bumper, but the cooler can be mount behind it if you cut small of the bumper-base. Like him:

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 10:27:41 am »
Intercooler envy, yeah damn you Pete! ;D
Antony (dub-disaster) is haggling over paying £35 for one let alone £450!
Like I said I think most of the O.E.M. ones such as the BMW and VW tdi ones have plastic end tanks. Alright for low boost but how long it'd last with circa 20PSI is anyones guess.
I think the Vauxhall Frontera one may be all alluminium construction, but its got a very thin core and small dia. pipe stubs.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2009, 06:50:39 pm »
I don't mind paying more than £35 definantly don't fancy £450 though !! What's the depth of that psd one you got there yoof??