Author Topic: 2nd hand ko3  (Read 12860 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
2nd hand ko3
« on: November 12, 2009, 10:02:18 am »
hi all,
  got my turbo kit yesterday with a second hand ko3 it looks ok but can turbos be sericed or reconditioned is it worth getting this done before throwing it on the car or is it not really worth it?? Also in the exhaust side of the turbo i know its gonna be sooty but theres alot caked on carbon there does this need removing before fitting or will it just build up again ??
And finally when fitting a rothe manifold what gaskeet do you use a standard exhuast manifold gasket ??
Thanks in advance for your help :)

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: 2nd hand ko3
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:16:54 am »
-Check if the shaft "plays", also check if the compressor wheel has any damages, if there's nothing theres no reason to rebuild the turbo.
-Don't worry for the carbon, if you clean it, it's gonna happen the same
-Yes, for the manifold use a standard, but metal gasket   

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:38:01 am »
thanks for your reply, no theres no play its nice and tight :) heres a pic of the compressor wheel very very minor damge but let me know what you think !! the bloke who sold it to me is sending me a new wheel is it worth changing them over and do they need balancing or anything if i change the wheel over

What do you rekon ......

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 03:48:11 pm »
Need to be balanced if you're replacing the turbine dude- even a tenth of a gram at the speed these do (150,000rpm) makes for an unstable balance!

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:52:04 pm »
does this look a lil bent on that fin labled or is it ok ??

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 03:18:57 pm »
Can't really see from the pic Ant, they're so cheap on e-bay for a low mileage turbo I'd not bother repairing one, don't think you'd pay anymore than £50 for one  :)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 06:32:44 pm »
ok guys thanks for your help , think ill stick this one in and if it goes bang buy a new one :)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 08:06:21 pm »
i doubt it will get pats the intercooler, but i just bought this off somone on here as a turbo conversion and he has had it running on his car so it cant be that badly damaged can it?? or should i send it back to him as i thought that i was getting a turbo in good conditon.
Hmmm what do to  ??? think i mite find a local turbo sepcialst and drop buy and show them and ask them weather its worth sending it back for a refund or if its ok to put in the car

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 04:03:17 pm »
Yea that's what I'm thinkign now just gitA find a reasonably local turbo company any one know of one in the south west of England ?

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 06:06:02 pm »
I would just fit it, its very rare that they actually fail properly anyway. You just get more and more play and then oil blowby.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 07:00:30 pm »
Ok thanks for the advise tommo, what happens when oil blowsby?
This is on a compley differnt subject but tommo with your intercoer setup (you still using that 4x4 cossie one behind the grill?) how deep is the core as I'm Reading a book on forced induction tuning by graham bell and it says in there that the deeper the intercoer core the less the air gets through to the rad and that general a core should be no thicker than 2 1/2 inches otherwise the radiator doesn't cool aswell aswell as the back if the intercooler wich suffers aswell, but the abouve 2 1/2 inch rule applies to cars with radiators of 3inches and abouve and as a g's rad is about 1 1/2 inches I just wondered the exact depth of the cossie cooler an if you had any cooling problems with your rad receiving less air??

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 08:37:41 pm »
obviously that's only a problem if you mount the IC in front of the radiator anyway.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 08:46:34 pm »
That's where I was going to mount it. Also the back of the deep. Ire wi h I belvedere to be 120mm deep is only two thirds as effective as the front due to less airflow I just wanted to check the depth think I'll go for one of the ones of eBay there about the ritght depth and bar and plate type anyway
cheers guys

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 09:07:19 pm »
two schools of thought really.

A thinner one with a large surface area will be more effective than a smaller, thicker one, even if both have the same tube surface area.  Because like that book says, the air heats up as it passes through the core so has less cooling effect towards to back of the core. 

However, a big thin one which is mostly obscured behind the grill, bumper etc... will be less effective than a smaller, thicker one which is fully in the cold air flow.

so it's swings and roundabouts really and depends what you can fit on your car.  If fact the radiator being right behind it will further restrict airflow too as if the warmer air can't get out of the back of the core quick enough, fresh air can't get in at the front. 

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 09:54:08 pm »
I see what you mean about swings and roundabouts, think I'm just going to get a 2-2 1/2 inch deep one that will fit in the gap at the bottom of the bumper  from eBay , just outa intrest what intercooler setup do you run hayesay ??