Author Topic: 593 Miles. France and back!  (Read 4902 times)

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
593 Miles. France and back!
« on: October 28, 2009, 01:05:57 pm »
Few weeks back I spent a weekend in france with the Mrs. When I say weekend it was monday-wednesday as we both work at the end of the week.
Was a good excuse to give the G a good thrashing after a charger rebuild and a few service parts!
Car ran fine (except the massive over fueling problem which meant having to run on boost pretty much all the time which is so loud its painful. after calais we sat at 110 almost the whole way)
on the way back i unplugged the lambda which fixed the problem, and sat at 90-100 most the way, nice and quiet (ish) and got about 25ish mpg compared to the 17 I was getting.

Overall, had an awesome time. Just wanted to share some of out photo's with you guys.

A common sight:

G40 is practical when you have the smallest tent in the world:

The max power pin-up (yes she is tugging on my exhaust wrap)

Toast:

casual engine bay:

car pose's

Overall i recommend taking your G's away; good chance to let them of the leash!
I wasn't looking but the mrs said we hit 135 in france (up a small incline i might add though I wish the big 140 was touched :( haha ), got flashed by 1 mobile camera over there not heard anything yet.
The place we stayed; I will recommend to ANYONE http://www.la-croix-du-vieux-pont.com/uk/accueil.php awesome place with swimming pools, bike hire and loads of sweet places near by, we spent 1 day in some old mines and found a castle ruin near by! great bars and cheap desperadoes are available from the intermarche thats a 5min walk away. and best bit. 10 euro's a night camping!

Just wanted to share with you guys our G40 Good times!

Offline DMWG40

• Members
Re: 593 Miles. France and back!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 01:32:56 pm »
very nice. what made you pick that place ?  heavy foot is very tempting in france.

when i drove to Val d'Isère last year it the firms 2.2 honda civic cdcti that things just pulls had a tendency to sit around 130 the whole time especially during the night

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 01:41:23 pm »
very nice. what made you pick that place ?  heavy foot is very tempting in france.

when i drove to Val d'Isère last year it the firms 2.2 honda civic cdcti that things just pulls had a tendency to sit around 130 the whole time especially during the night
Few months before me and some mates stumbled upon it while doing a euro trip in my dads passat 130TDI (awesome car) and its only 273 miles from me in essex so it was cheap (knew it was going to be running like ass so its £££££)

quote from the french transport minister 'british people have zero regard for our road laws'

Last year on a swiss pass bashing trip with my dad we averaged 140mph in 185km on the way back, with the roof down on his porsche 968 cab. That was awesome! Know some great pass's on france now. that top gear one wasn't as great as some we found, it was a bit to hairpin after hairpin after hairpin for us, no sweeping bends; overrated and we decided it was only used cause it would be easy to film it!

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 01:48:16 pm »
Cool, I'm very jealous! :(

I took mine out to Germany about 18 months ago. Heard there was some toll road worth driving over there, so went out to investigate  ;) 1200 miles in a weekend and it was absolutely fine. Comfortable, economical (40mpg+ cruising through Belgium) and good fun when we got into the German countryside. Only thing that's held me back since is money. Or lack of it.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 02:06:41 pm »
Cool, I'm very jealous! :(

I took mine out to Germany about 18 months ago. Heard there was some toll road worth driving over there, so went out to investigate  ;) 1200 miles in a weekend and it was absolutely fine. Comfortable, economical (40mpg+ cruising through Belgium) and good fun when we got into the German countryside. Only thing that's held me back since is money. Or lack of it.

I've been saving for that. Will probs do it at the start of next year. Most I can get is 30 mpg from mine. I dream of 40mpg!
Went in december 2006 to the ring with my dad, in his 968 sport coupe. was amazing; keep tugging his arm to go again!
We did it in a day though 1192 miles or something, it was madness! Cant wait to ring it up in the G though, even though it handles like ass!

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 07:00:08 pm »
quality thread mate  ;D, making me want to go and do something like that next year. great pics, weather looked good to say it was just a few weeks ago. did u cross the channel on ferry or train? you cant remember the prices can you? we could do with organising some kind of G40 euro trip. sounds good to me :)
cheers Tom

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 09:55:26 pm »
love it!   wanna do this myself!  where exactly is that camp site you went to?  i want to google earth it...

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 08:39:14 am »
Its in a place called Vic Sur Aisne which is about 2 hours from calais, lovely place with the small town nearby.

Awesome place, well worth a blast to!

Offline MartinB

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 10:01:33 am »
What a good excuse for a road trip! Pics are cool, looks a nice place  :)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 01:15:09 pm »
looks like you had a good time.

Euro G trip wouldbe cool. I'd be too paranoid taking mine incase it broke down!