Author Topic: today at oulton park  (Read 3621 times)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
today at oulton park
« on: November 13, 2009, 07:36:03 pm »
me & a mate did a track day in my polo today at oulton park.  It went pretty well, had some good runs.  At the end of the morning my dump valve went pop and constantly leaked boost, fixed it by removing it and bunging the hole up and carried on without a dump valve, which was ok but kept popping boost hoses off thanks to some boost spikes on lift off.  Still had a good day though, weather wasnt too bad, damp to start with, then dried out and then just after 3pm it starting chucking down so called it a day.  Car made it home in one piece which was more than some people who were trying too hard for the conditions could say!

Photos are here:

http://derby.polog40.co.uk/photos/oulton_nov09/

some of my favs:

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: today at oulton park
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 07:42:50 pm »
Looking good dude. Looks a lot flatter in the corners than the last one you did. Cant wait to join you in the new year hopefully!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 07:55:56 pm »
Apart from the DV related issues, how did the car behave?

Any significant scalps?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 08:02:12 pm »
car was faultless really apart from the DV issues, oh and an oil leak from the dizzy oil seal but both are something and nothing really.

Lots of scalps really, although some of the bigger RWD cars seemed to be really struggling with the track conditions and squirming a lot in corners.  Had a few people come over in the pits to see what was under the bonnet, esp later on when I ws running with no DV and making the cool sounding (but not very nice for the turbo or spool up) turbo stalling noises.

Offline Jimsiss

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 10:21:39 pm »
Was good to meet you, I'll get my pics up soon.

Jim (with the noisey white GT  ::) )

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 10:34:07 am »
Looking great on track, glad you had a good day.   ;D 

At least they were minor issues and didn't eat into any tracktime.  Does running without the DV have any negative effects on the turbo spinning up, i.e. damage to the turbo, more so in the long term or is it one of those things you can get away with for a certain amount of time.  Still getting upto speed with turbo DV, wastegate etc, hence question.

Alot less roll than the last time it was out but still looks like its losing grip on the inside tyre in the pics when the outside is compressed in, could you get away with going any more stiffer on the front end perhaps, i.e. what could you get away with as its driven on the road isn't it so you'd need a good comprimise of road and track suppleness.

Bet some of the 'fast' cars where surprised of the polo's pace  ;D ;D

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 11:16:21 am »
jimsiss - yes mate good to meet you too!  Sorry I didn't get more of a chance to talk much but I was struggling to get boost pipes to stop popping so I could get back out!

paul - I actually have a set of stiffer springs sat in my garage which I was hoping to get put on in time for this but work commitments meant I couldn't find the time.  I just about found time on thursday evening to cut a big hole in the bumper and bumper iron to get more air to the intercooler as you can see in the pics.  So yes I will be putting some stiffer springs on as it does still need it.

running without a dv means the turbo stalls whenever you lift off.  While it makes a cool noise it means theres a touch more lag as you have to get the turbo to spool from standstill again (it's just about noticable), the stalling also has been known to wreck the turbo (yoof at oulton last year, although that wasn't helped by the fact he was using a chinese copy ebay turbo).  I also started popping boost pipes on the sessions I was doing with no DV so I think it was suffering from boost spikes too.