Author Topic: Bit help needed please..blow motor wire to a plug? etc  (Read 4093 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Bit help needed please..blow motor wire to a plug? etc
« on: October 19, 2009, 08:21:19 pm »
its a strange request this one.  I want to build a box in which into the bottom i need air to be blown.  Basically air is blown into the base of a box.  Above the circulating air is a mesh or material in which the air can pass.  Sitting on this mesh is a fine polystyrene plastic powder.  The idea is if you heat a piece of metal till it is red hot (with a brazing torch) you can place it into the box into the circulating air/powder and the metal is coated.  similar to powder coating finish is achieved, if the correct temp is reached.  The exact process name i am unsure of, but I want to use it at work. ANNNYWAY...

I need a blowing motor and the one we have on our mk3's are perfect but can they be wired to work on a household plug?  they would be perfect size and are plentiful..

help would be much appreciated.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: Bit help needed please..blow motor wire to a plug? etc
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 08:28:19 pm »
You'll need a transformer spaniel; probably plenty on the bay.

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 08:33:18 pm »
yeah, 12v adaptor, you could use an old mobile phone charger, i took a blower unit off an old polo on saturday, my mate wanted it for his robin hood he's building. can i ask you why you want to coat steel??

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 09:15:57 pm »
ah right thats great so is this something that can be easily achieved?  fitting a transformer?  We have a small transformer that we use to test small circuits at school so i reckon this could be used.

I want to do it because i teach Design tech and engineering and a little cheap easy process like this would be great in school for small little projects such as coat hooks, plus its big points in terms of projects and exam boards to incorporate real processes into the classroom.

Now i just need to get a blower motor from a yard and bash together a box to put it all in... well thats the plan..

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 09:16:50 pm »
yeah, 12v adaptor, you could use an old mobile phone charger, i took a blower unit off an old polo on saturday, my mate wanted it for his robin hood he's building. can i ask you why you want to coat steel??

robin hood?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 09:22:51 pm »
robin hood kit car

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 09:50:57 pm »
Mains electricy is 240V AC. The MK3 blower motor is 12V DC. You need a transformer + rectifier + smoothing capactor. I would be careful messing with mains in a metal box if you are not sure what you are doing. Easiest thing is use a battery charger. this provides a nominal 12V and enough current to run the motor.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 10:18:14 pm »
just use a decent 12v power supply from some long-dead household appliance to supply a nice smooth 12vdc to your "box".  I wouldn't even think about trying to construct your own ac to dc transformer!

You might find the motor you use says what wattage it consumes, then just use current (amps) = power (watts) / V (voltage) to work out how many amps your power supply needs to be capable of supplying.  Any power supply should have it's voltage and max amps on a label on it.  The voltage will be 12v by the way....
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:22:13 pm by hayesey »

Offline sinister polo

• Members
  • drive it like u stole it
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 10:37:54 pm »
hi mate im an electrician, and as everyone has said you will need a transformer,
your best bet is to go down your local electrical wholesalers and get a transformer for
a lighting circuit, something like this  http://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/1-Outlet-12v-0-250va-Electronic.html
but make sure you have worked out the ampage of the fan, because with decreased voltage
your current will increase (ohms law). so for example if it is 200w fan - 200 divided by 12 = 16.6 amps.

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 02:12:53 pm »
turns out i can use a compressor to supply air.  thanks for the replies..much appreciated! :D