Author Topic: speed cameras? whats the allowence over the limit?  (Read 7587 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
speed cameras? whats the allowence over the limit?
« on: June 10, 2008, 05:51:56 pm »
i wasn't consentrating as i went past a camera today which i apss all the time!  i'm 99% i was still under 50 miles per ghour but im stressing.  ive searched google and as far as i can tell cameras don't trigger until + 10% of the speed + 2mph.  which makes this 50mph one 57 mph?  thats what i can find from a few websites..anyone else heard of this?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: speed cameras? whats the allowence over the limit?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 01:49:12 pm »
As far as I'm aware there is no official allowance.

Offline dannyb.G40

• Members
Re: Re: speed cameras? whats the allowence over the limit?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 06:24:56 pm »
The system can enforce a number of speed limits. That is to say, it has a fixed
number of speed limits rather than being constantly variable. The speed limits are
0 (a.k.a. red X or "lane closed"), 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and NS (the national speed
limit, currently 70mph). Each speed limit also has a user-settable threshold, so
that the actual speed at which an offence occurs is the sum of the speed limit and
this amount (eg. a 40mph limit with a 10mph threshold means it will enforce at
50+mph.). Generally the threshold is no less than 10%+2 of the speed limit, but
this is merely a guideline and it can be anything from 0-99mph, and is entirely at
the discretion of the operator.

The speed limit set is read directly from the same electrical input that sets the
speed limit displayed to the motorist on the matrix board. There is also a fibre-
optic sensor on each bulb in the matrix board that is turned into an electrical
signal so that the system can verify that the matrix board is actually displaying
what it has been told to display.

Extract taken from UK driving secrets (was writtin by an ex-cop). Hope that helps

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: speed cameras? whats the allowence over the limit?
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 07:27:17 pm »
ok thanks guys.  that would suggest that passing at around 51/52 SHOULD be ok...i get the impression this is to take into consideration slight differences in speedos.  to get a ticket passing a 50mph camera at 51/52 would be ridiculous really especially when lots of people run different size wheels which will give inaccurate speedo readings.  only time will tell anyways...i think i've built it up into an issue when at the time i sort of knew i was just on 50...and since i always slow RIGHT down going past dead on the limit worries me ha ha.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: speed cameras? whats the allowence over the limit?
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 07:57:13 pm »
I would say that if your speedo was showing 51/52 then you'd probably have been doing less than 50 anyway.

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: speed cameras? whats the allowence over the limit?
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 08:16:42 pm »
[quote pid=1709 author=hayesey date=1213210633]I would say that if your speedo was showing 51/52 then you'd probably have been doing less than 50 anyway.[/quote]

really?  why are they never quite accurate?

Offline G-spot

• Members
[quote pid=1709 author=hayesey date=1213210633]I would say that if your speedo was showing 51/52 then you'd probably have been doing less than 50 anyway.[/quote]
Depends on your wheel/trye combination??  Sometimes speedo's can be missleading.

If your not totally sure you were speeding, then the chances are you wern't, I've done it myself 3 times this year, not concentrating on my my speedo then suddenly spotting the camera once its too late.  No tickets for me!

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
[quote pid=1713 author=G-spot date=1213212032][quote pid=1709 author=hayesey date=1213210633]I would say that if your speedo was showing 51/52 then you'd probably have been doing less than 50 anyway.[/quote]
Depends on your wheel/trye combination??  Sometimes speedo's can be missleading.

If your not totally sure you were speeding, then the chances are you wern't, I've done it myself 3 times this year, not concentrating on my my speedo then suddenly spotting the camera once its too late.  No tickets for me![/quote]

ha ha.. standard bbs for me mate.  i know what you mean..i was concentrating on the learner i had impatiently blasted past..then saw the camera, slowed down then had a proper 'men in black' memory loss and suddenly there is the camera and im crossing the 2 lines (its a forward facing camera with no flash)..and i sort of realised 'ooo watch ya speed' as i looked.  I was, as far as i can remember bang on 50 ish and was fine not panicing until i stopped along the road at the lights and started pondering and blowing it wildly out of proportion 'was i doing 50?  or more?' etc etc.... we all know the feeling ha ha

i've even been replicating the speed to try and bring back the vision of when i looked at the speedo its crazy! LOL  LOL

to be honest i often forget the most normal day to day things like what i did yesterday its strange..bet loads of us do that...like a journey you take each day..you get there and think 'i can't even remember getting there' its so part of your routine.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 08:31:14 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
even on std combo - they usually read slightly higher

Offline G-spot

• Members
[quote pid=1716 author=peteg40 date=1213214689]even on std combo - they usually read slightly higher[/quote]

I've had my dials out and faces off, when I rebuilt them I checked the speed against a sat nav setup and adjusted the needle position, now when speedo says 70mph, I know I'm doing 70mph.  Its actually quite funny cos when ever I approach a gatso were everyone typically slows to the limit before accelerating again, I notice most cars doing at least 3/4mph slower than me which always gives me the upper hand on the drag away ;)

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
Just to let you guys know that the Police and offical authorities have scrapped 10%+2mph. I was told be a very undersdtanding officer just the other day that my "33-34mph" in a 30 was still applicable to a fine. Slap on the hand and off i went..