Club G40 > General Chat

speed cameras? whats the allowence over the limit?

(1/3) > >>

supercharged spaniel:
i wasn't consentrating as i went past a camera today which i apss all the time!  i'm 99% i was still under 50 miles per ghour but im stressing.  ive searched google and as far as i can tell cameras don't trigger until + 10% of the speed + 2mph.  which makes this 50mph one 57 mph?  thats what i can find from a few websites..anyone else heard of this?

hayesey:
As far as I'm aware there is no official allowance.

dannyb.G40:
The system can enforce a number of speed limits. That is to say, it has a fixed
number of speed limits rather than being constantly variable. The speed limits are
0 (a.k.a. red X or "lane closed"), 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and NS (the national speed
limit, currently 70mph). Each speed limit also has a user-settable threshold, so
that the actual speed at which an offence occurs is the sum of the speed limit and
this amount (eg. a 40mph limit with a 10mph threshold means it will enforce at
50+mph.). Generally the threshold is no less than 10%+2 of the speed limit, but
this is merely a guideline and it can be anything from 0-99mph, and is entirely at
the discretion of the operator.

The speed limit set is read directly from the same electrical input that sets the
speed limit displayed to the motorist on the matrix board. There is also a fibre-
optic sensor on each bulb in the matrix board that is turned into an electrical
signal so that the system can verify that the matrix board is actually displaying
what it has been told to display.

Extract taken from UK driving secrets (was writtin by an ex-cop). Hope that helps

supercharged spaniel:
ok thanks guys.  that would suggest that passing at around 51/52 SHOULD be ok...i get the impression this is to take into consideration slight differences in speedos.  to get a ticket passing a 50mph camera at 51/52 would be ridiculous really especially when lots of people run different size wheels which will give inaccurate speedo readings.  only time will tell anyways...i think i've built it up into an issue when at the time i sort of knew i was just on 50...and since i always slow RIGHT down going past dead on the limit worries me ha ha.

hayesey:
I would say that if your speedo was showing 51/52 then you'd probably have been doing less than 50 anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version