Author Topic: K03 setup help  (Read 29858 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: K03 setup help
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 06:15:11 pm »
Tommo in your opinion what other turbos would suit a g40 quite well and not have lag problems. There's k04 what do you think of that? There's the garret out of a 200sx isn't his what you've got ? I expect these are quote cheap and plentyfull rnt they?? What others would you suggest . I've currently got a k03 just keeping my options open n seeing what else works I'm not after monster power I want to have low boost power of 150-160 for day to day use n about 200 for when i'm feeling playful. Does a k04 take to long to spool up is that why people dnt use it ? 

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 06:49:29 pm »
to be fair ive never even seen a K04 so I wouldnt know.

As they say though, if you dont have any lag then you have the wrong turbo.

If I was to choose what turbo to fit to my car (as opposed to just using what was kicking about) I would use a garrett GT17 from a non aero SAAB 9-3 (IIRC!)

But, my best advice would be to look at what 'upgrades' they sell for similar FI cars such as the R5 Turbo, and then find out what other turbos are similar that you can get cheap off scrap cars. If you buy any turbo that is sold as an 'upgrade' it seems that you get raped for it.

Most turbo petrol cars have too small a turbo to keep them driver friendly, so look at anything around 1.6/1.8 producing 160/170bhp. You can chop and change many turbo bits around to make what you want like I did, but that takes a bit more research.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 07:20:33 pm »
Hmm that fits a t25 flame doesn't it, is this the turbo your talking about http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Turbo-Charger-03G253014J-GT1749V_W0QQitemZ180464542092QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2a0486618c#ht_1500wt_948 just out of intrest aswell tommo how'd you adjust your boost via a bleed valve ??
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:35:51 pm by dub-disaster »

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 08:40:13 pm »
A K03 will give you really nice spool-up and general response and easily deliver 160bhp on a stock bottom end if correctly setup - you won't need to run silly boost either. T25 will prob do the job too, though a bit laggier. Use a 'turbo' cam with the K03, and a stock GT one with a T25.

Garrett GT17 can be found on lpt Saab 9-5s. Tiny bit bigger than a K03 if memory serves.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 09:01:05 pm »
I'm definantly going for a 1341cc bottom end and going to go accralite for off boost driveability. I want to be able to switch between high boost and want 190-200 bhp and power boost for 160bhp. Only reason I was going to try the gt17 as I thought it mite work out cheaper as it's a tiny bit bigger I could get closer to that 190-200bhp figure without having the expens of buying a bvh and aqumist aswell I know a bvh isn't nessesary but on higher boost settings I wanted closer to 200 just thought I mite give it a try is that the right turbo in the link? Can pick up a t25 manifold of german eBay get a down pipe made n just test it out see what happens !

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 04:29:05 pm »
That turbo you posted above is a vg unit I think, I cant find any data against the part number thats in the listing.

The GT17 is deffinitly bigger than a K03, and for sure a bit smaller than mine lol. My mate fitted a GT17 off a SAAB to his mini and it was great, pulled well from low revs. I think he dyno'd it at 18psi with 147bhp with 176lbs/ft of torque (@ mikanicks or whatever its called) But you have to remember thats on a mini with only 2 tiny inlet ports and 3 exhausts. Standard head as well, hence the low power high torque.

Personally I wouldnt advise a BVH. For the money it just seems like such a small gain, the VW exhaust valves arent exactly tiny as it is. I dont know how much they are but im sure you could put that money to good use somewhere else and then fit a BVH later on if you really need more power. Im guessing a GT cam in a BVH will probably only flow as much as a lairyer cam in a standard head anyway, rendering a BVH with a GT cam a bit pointless.

I adjust the boost with a bleed valve (or by shimming the actuator if its miles out), its a bit crude but it does the job well enough for my car.

200bhp is a massive amount of power in a polo though and I think its pretty pointless, I guess for a lot of people its just a target to work to or its purely for bragging.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2010, 06:19:59 pm »
I think in light of this and thinking with a big more of ansensible head on. I'm going to not bother with a bvh as it is alot of cash for minimal returns. But I will go for a 1341cc engine with a 9:1 cr for the better economy and off boost drivability I will stick with my k03 cause it's cheap to replace and I've already got all the bits and it spools up nice n quick! I'll have a low and high boost setting so I can drive around with 160 bhp and turn the boost up for some 180-190 bhp madness once in a while as you say tommo the 200bhp is just for bragging rights I think. Thanks for the advice though.
I was mainly thinking of a bvh as I know of one for sale and the valves rnt in stock any more with jabba but £600 Inc vat is alot of cash for an extra 10 or so ponies

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2010, 06:32:40 pm »
No worries, cheaper is always better! lol.

£600 + VAT! lol, Crikey. thats approx £60 per BHP, not a good ratio. I wouldnt far off sell you my entire car for that lol, then you wouldnt have two boost settings, just 2 cars lol.

Low boost setting is a good idea and im deffinitly gonna do that with my car before the summer, Should make launching the car a lot easyer, then as soon as you get in 4th hit the power button on the steering wheel fast and furious style!

My car is approx 8.7:1 and off boost its good.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2010, 09:49:36 pm »
By the time you hit 200bhp an LSD, decent suspension, bigger brakes and subframe start to become necessary to push it as hard as you could a 130bhp stockish G40 on the road.

I love my switchable maps - only have 133bhp and 175bhp cals that are useable, but you can have much more fun on the lower powered one!

As for BV head on 1341cc - Robin's and Yoof's cars were virtually identical specs apart from the BV head. Robin's made 194bhp, and Yoof's was 203bhp with a K03. There may've been a couple more bhp in Yoof's as we never did a final dyno map on it, but certainly not loads more power.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2010, 10:51:15 pm »
well i had (Still have at the moment!) ive got to weld the gearbox mount again replace two of the rose joints and then im going to sell it for a ppp one , if theyve still got one and if theyl have me back after defecting to the dark side :P so ill have a sub frame and lsd will be on the list aswell. still in two minds weather to go for a bvh 1341cc both or just turn the boost up on my standard engine cause 180bhp aint to shabby at all realy n thats what im lead to belive by other posts is possible with a standard internals n more boost.
    i spoke to somone today who has a 9:1 cr 1341 cc n he said he cant tell the difference of boost  between his car and his mates wich is standard . is there much of a noticable difference andy ?? yea £600 is steep for a bvh head but you can sell your own head so knock of £100 to £150 and hopefully when im done building this engine after my shell rots out (not to distant future !!) i plan on keeping my engine n moving it to a new home probably a mk1  so a bvh mite be an investment for me and now that jabba has run out of valves and has no intention of stocking any more kinda made sense to me a little . as buying them direct from manufacturer in a batch less than 12 sets is likley to cost £40 per valves !

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2010, 10:57:35 pm »
mine is stock head with cat cams turbo cam and verier pulley, 1341 9:1 bottom end, ko3 turbo on rothe manifold. id expect around 185bhp but i also have dta standalone using the wasted spark and i am fitting R6 bike throttle bodies and using the inlet with plenum off a pulsar gtir then a shit load of time and tig welding rods lol (nearly finished now though).

be interesting to see what difference the bodies make if any haha. just thought id do it as it isnt really costing me much and i dont know of another with the same setup. i would say there is bound to be one with ITB's somewhere though. maybe one of the wise G40 people willl know of one.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2010, 11:12:42 pm »
just out of intrest lance how much did your 1341cc 9:1 cost you? did you build it yourself ? im thinking of doing my own but ive never done an engine before and dont want to bugger the engine with some £500 pistons init ! also do you notice better off boost drivability and econmy with the higher cr ??

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2010, 11:22:43 pm »
i built it myself mate but im a mechanic. i wouldnt build it yourself if your not upto it, as you say its 500+ for pistons alone. when i build mine i done it with all vag parts. so it all adds up. oil pump is 110 pound i think. thrust bearings are 25 each and there is 5 of them. id have to find the recipt from vag to know the exact cost but it aint cheap to do.

i built mine with them pistons because id melted one of mine so went for strenth over performance. off boost it did seam to pull better if say you had 4 people in but it was also eaton'd once i rebuilt it so hard for me to tell the 1341 difference if you get me.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2010, 11:31:14 pm »
i see what you mean, i would like to have a go at building an engine as you never learn if you dont have a go but maybe not with this one wich is going to cost a fair bit . i was going to go for this for the off boost as at the moment it seems a bit weedy but it is a 1.3 maybe ill just stick to what ive got till it goes pop or somthing thanks any way though lance

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • GT40 - AE86C
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2010, 06:34:07 am »
The tests that I have video, before I go to drive and broke the shitty turbo:

http://vbox7.com/play:bf4bbb49

http://vbox7.com/play:858b076e