Author Topic: subframe issue  (Read 8061 times)

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
Re: subframe issue
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 06:07:15 pm »
hi i'm an old school but been away for about 5 years. still got my g40 but been in storage. bought an s3 since but now it's time to sort out my little girl. i'm 30 now but bought it when i was 19 from holland as a left hand drive and converted it. the body's getting abit tatty all over but my mother happens to have a really nice gt in dark red so it's getting stripped, caged etc. the engines well sorted with various mods up to 170 bhp but i want some form of sub frame for the front, a quick shift if poss or i'll just make one. and advise on getting better fixed top mounts like the golfs. welding not a problem. i've got a set of 280 mm g60 calipers and a set of 278 audi twin pot calipers too if anyone knows where to get the brackets from to fit them??

Well hello there,

for a subframe give yoof on here a shout, he and Andy run PPP and supply these frames, they have their own thread over on clubpolo.co.uk. Not sure if they have any left but you can probably put your name down on the next batch!

As far as im aware the only quick shift that is available for the mk3 yo buy is the £600ish CAE Ultrashifter. If you could design and produce a quickshift kit that you adapt the standard gearstick and mech then it would be very worth while (£££'s in your pocket) as many people would bite your hand off for one i recon.

Cant help with the caliper brackets but if you want to run 280mm discs then you wil need to go to 15" wheels which are widely seen as second best to 14" wheels. If you drop to 256mm (most popular upgrade - vauxhall items) then you will be able to run most 14s with a wheel spacer. If your really serious about stopping then you go alll out and get the 256mm Willwood 4pot kit designed for the mkI golf GTI..

Food for thought - hope this helps

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 09:12:49 pm »
hmm weird, so is it the compression strut that the wheel is rubbing on?  Still no one has said what is actually rubbing!

Like I mentioned, my tyre will rub the inner wing on full lock but that's because I have 15" wheels with 60mm lowering and increased castor angle.  I live with it, I just remember to not go on full lock, easy enough because it's not my daily driver though.

Sorry, should have said it was the compression strut that was being fouled. It could be cleared by cranking on a bit more castor, but the steering's quite heavy enough for me at this time. Probably a 5mm spacer will clear it.

Offline Peter

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 12:12:04 pm »
i have a PPS frame with similar issues.

running 14x6 castalettes et38 the inner edge of the rim will rub at full lock on, my other wheels however 14x6 BBS RAs et33 do not rub.

a 5mm spacer should to the job, or the rack stopper.

Offline G4O LP

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 02:19:30 pm »
Im going to make a rack stopper to solve this i think. Not 100% sure how yet but all is possible

Offline volksnorm

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 11:00:02 pm »
i've recently stripped a rack down to see if this can be addressed, and it turned out to be quite straightforward to limit the steering stop,
on the end of the rack on the drivers side, under the rubber condom thing is the end of the shaft, on the shaft is a bolt and washer, the washer is actually the stop for this side, all thats needed here is a small collar the same diameter as the washer, only about 5mm thick.
the other side is a bit more fiddley, you need to undo the bolt and slide off the track rod arms along with the bracket, this exposes the shaft, peel back the rubber boot and you find a plastic ring that the rubber locates on, next is a small metal collar, this is the stop for this side, this needs to be moved down the shaft towards the rack itself, this will expose a circlip, once that is removed the collar and the plastic retainer can be slid off the shaft allowing you to add another spacer the same as the first side, then put the collar and circlip back on and re-assemble. it sounds  complicated but its all quite simple when you have it in front of you, this could be done in situ but its probably easier in the long run taking the rack off.
i'm making up some of these spacers so i have them in stock.
to John and G40LP, you should have let me know directly if you've had any problems, i'm always willing to sort them out.
the wheel rubbing occurs on some and not others depending on wheel choice, which is out of my control, the arms on the frame aren't a design fault, by their nature they have to be straight, where the original ARB was cranked to combat this issue, i have made the arm mount as far down the frame as possible to eliviate the problem, any more and the adjustment would turn into camber not castor, if the arm mount was further up towards the original ARB mount area, the wheel rubbing problem would be greatly enhanced.

stuart. PPS

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 09:47:30 pm »
Cheers for that Norm. Choice of wheels the problem not a design issue. 5mm spacer solved my problem. Great piece of kit; transformed the handling. Now I need a baffled sump though lol.