Author Topic: Brand new car to replace a G40  (Read 8944 times)

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
Re: Brand new car to replace a G40
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 11:27:23 am »
I would have to say a mini cooper s (but not newest one), clio sport (love them in white with black wheels) or the new VW Scirroco (again in white) mmmmm!

Offline Nige

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 12:09:37 pm »
When we swapped our G40 many moons ago for nearly new mk4 Golf 1.8T it wasn't until we sold that Golf that I got the same G40 buzz back in the form of Honda Civic Type R, that was before they went all chavvy.  They're good value at the moment, but have an image problem for me.

As some have already suggested an S2000 is a good choice, or new 'Rocco if its in your budget.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 12:11:24 pm by Nige »

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 06:42:05 pm »
I recently bought a 2001 Clio 172- aside from the shocking build quality, it's a fun little car, but still simple and reasonably nippy ( although Andys and Hayeseys polos had no problems despatching it) all in all it's probably the only modern car that still has vws build quality from 20yrs ago LOL

Offline chris2911

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 07:54:32 pm »
well im going to have to go for a mazda 3 mps or polo gti

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 10:00:36 pm »
yoof, not sure about the build quality, the dash in that car is made of worse plastic than a mk3 polo one!  :D

I have to say it's a good fun little thing though.

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 08:43:06 am »
New Scirocco TSi, remapped! ;D

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 09:09:07 am »
As a spiritual successor, I'm gonna vote for the Abarth 500 Essesse, it's the closest I've found to a G40. Lightweight, forced induction and they love being thrown around. Plus they look gorgeous!

Personally though, if I smashed up the G40 I'd probably sell the Passat and use the cash from both to buy an S2000. I've been lucky enough to try it on road and track, and it's absolutely brilliant!

Offline Robga

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 06:39:49 pm »
Cars not to buy (from experience) Smart car lol and BMW Z4 (so dull Zzzzzz) maybe unless you got the M one.

Erm cars to buy ... S2000.  I should've bought instead of a Z4 SOOOO much fun but you do have to hoon them practically everywhere and they don't hold money very well. Mini Cooper S.  The only car (with mods) which I liked on par with the G.  Not sure about the new turbo ones tho.

How fun! Let us know what you get hehe

Nothing wrong with a Smart Fortwo! Ive got one ...well its my girlfriends but i quite often pinch it. Few mods intake wise, evil twin remap gone from 61bhp to 84bhp. Had to fit a bilstien suspension kit as it was a bit scary round corners! just needs some wider wheels at the front tho.
Oh and this is what il hopefully be doing to it once she no longer wants it  ;D http://www.smartuki.com/

Rob

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 11:55:41 am »
If it had to be a modern replacement, then it'd be the Mini Cooper S (Eaton type) for me.
Agree with Rob on the Smart Fortwo. Cool looking and nippy enough to be fun.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 02:59:47 pm »
If you're looking for a direct replacement for the G then the only one that stands out is the Clio. From what I hear you'll spend a lot of time skinning your knuckles with it; just like the G. The S2000, Civic and Mini are all great drives but what else can you do with them but wash them. Where's the fun in that ? They're all finished items with nowt left to do to them, particularly the S2000.You'd be bored shitless in a few weeks. The crap Clio build quality and the wealth of bits available to make it go would have you back in the garage for many happy hours. My suggestion, the Colt Ralliart looks so much like the G's original performance spec. and it's got shite handling and brakes too; what more could you ask? lol.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 03:22:55 pm »
there's plenty of tuning options for the mini cooper.  In fact in PSD's hay-day, Liam there had a cooper S which they did a fair bit of work on (and used to annoy the JCW workshop down the road from where PSD were with it).  Their future plans were to offer bmw-mini tuning things once work on g40s dried up, since the rarity and always diminishing numbers of g40s means they're not a sensible option for a tuning company to bet their future on!

clio probably handles a bit too well to be considered a spiritual successor to a g40.

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 04:45:10 pm »
Nothing wrong with a Smart Fortwo! Ive got one ...well its my girlfriends but i quite often pinch it. Few mods intake wise, evil twin remap gone from 61bhp to 84bhp. Had to fit a bilstien suspension kit as it was a bit scary round corners! just needs some wider wheels at the front tho.
Oh and this is what il hopefully be doing to it once she no longer wants it  ;D http://www.smartuki.com/

Rob

yeh I guess I did quite enjoy just jumping in my Smart and going.  I had one of the new 84bhp ones.  I sold it and bought a house instead lol

Minispeed do some awesome upgrades for the Mini.  I had no problems with them and my mini always came back sounding awesome (although I was always a bit disappointed it used to cost twice as much as the G!)  The sound from the chager was ear piercing with the bonnet up (on rolling road).

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 06:42:51 pm »
As off today it's got to be the Mini. BMW have announced a 4x4 road -going version to be on the streets in 2010. 200+ horses, chuckable and sticky; this sounds like the business.

Offline Nige

• Members
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 09:55:14 am »
A 4x4 mini! how ghey is that.

Offline polo classic

• Members
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2009, 01:15:40 pm »
Scirocco 1,4L TSI 160 all the way. Still a VW with a supercharger (and turbo).

Having a ride in a Clio with a profesional driver was back in 2004 is on of the main reason me and JBM bought our Salzman frames