Author Topic: subframe - arb removal ways to stop roll !  (Read 3292 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
subframe - arb removal ways to stop roll !
« on: July 22, 2009, 10:08:22 am »
hi there i am about to get a ppp subframe fitted, but i was reading haseys winter refit thread when i noticed removal of the front anti roll bar causes alot of body roll he has cured it with some stiffer springs up front on his collies i dont particualrly want to have to go this route as i like to drive my car daily and dont want the suspension any firmer than it already is .
What can be done about this ? i only do fast road driving and dont have any intention of taking my car on the track , but have been told buy numerous people that s subframe is nescasary to prefent chassis leg snappage and give alot better handing is this true ? has any one else experinced this body roll , because my car at the moment has eibach arbs and strut braces and there is virtualy no body roll .

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: subframe - arb removal ways to stop roll !
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 10:13:20 am »
A better option for you, if you don't want the adjustability and added ridgidity of the Stage 3 frame would be to go for a stage 2 frame.

I wasn't aware eibach ever made an uprated anti-roll bar for the G40.

Your effective spring rate can be altered by fitting a stiffer/softer anti-roll bar, by removing it and increasing your actual spring rate (stiffer springs) you can retain the original effective spring rate.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 11:21:14 am »
I wouldn't really worry about it for road use.  The difference removing the ARB makes here isn't really going to be noticeable, I only noticed it on track. 

I don't think your car has an Eibach arb, they made ARBs for mk2 golf (amongst other things) but never for a polo.  the only uprated ARB I've ever seen for a mk2/3 polo is something I've seen on a couple of cup cars in photos.  I think they might have been made by someone like Sorg in the early/mid 90s but they are rarer than rocking horse shit.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:09:41 pm »
ok fair enough i was told by the previous owner of my car that the arb had been replaced with an eibach one he was obviously mistaken !! my arb is red is that normal ? mind you somone may just have painted it why red i dont know though that was half the reason i thought it was uprated any how,
i am now more confused than ever, genrally i use my car as a daily and maybe one day i would mind throwing it round a track a little but its defiantly not a track toy more a daily that gets thrashed, i want a lil more power and the best handing possible so i can take those corners quick , i have been told that a subframe with coillies offers the best handling possible on a mk 3 polo is this correct? i was also told if i want to run more power i have to strengthen the chassis leg will this subfram negate the need to do that ??
if a sub frame is not completely needed then i could spend my money else where, what would you guys suggest stage 3 sub frame,stage 2 subframe or no sub frame ??

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 01:16:31 pm »
well I would recommend the stage 3 subframe for the ultimate handling, no matter what you spend money on the stock 1960s/1970s style arb setup is always a massive compromise.  Stage 3 & coilovers is the ideal setup as then you can pick and choose spring rates as you want, you could even keep a spare set of harder springs and swap them over for a track day if you really wanted.

But a subframe with a decent quality normal suspension setup is still a huge improvement over standard. 

Can you get a picture of the ARB on your car?  I'd be pretty surprised if it was anything but a normal one painted red.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 07:31:01 pm »
thanks for your help all youve been very helpful think im going to invest in a stage 3 subframe , and keep the coilovers i got and as you said change them over if i want to do any track work .

Offline Varley

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 11:21:39 am »
I think that's the right conclusion.

All you concerns will evaporate after about 2 corners with the subframe fitted in my experience - you won't notice any extra roll on the road but you will notice a lot sharper turn in and a lot more confidence in your G's handling.

If you've already got coilovers then you have the option of putting firmer spriings on if you really think it's necessary on track but for road use, and especially if it's a daily, you'll be fine with the rates you have imo..

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 12:29:37 pm »
Our stage 3 frames were developed initially on my car, which still uses an old FK 40mm lowering kit.

You can't really perceive that much extra roll without the ARB, and the little that exists is far outweighed by the fact that the suspension geometry now remains consistent throughout a bend. Bottom line is, the handling's more predictable and you go round the bends faster - even despite a soggy 6 year old suspension kit.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 12:50:22 pm »
ok youve all conviced me im just waiting for ppp to get back to me !