Author Topic: Top Mounts  (Read 5367 times)

Offline GSBellew

• Members
Top Mounts
« on: July 13, 2009, 11:47:52 pm »
Are there different types of top mounts for different engine models?  ???

The reason I am wondering is that I am in the middle of fitting my coilovers, I got new VW top mounts (part no 871 412 323 A), but they are not the same as the original ones I removed.

See below, original one removed from my G40 is on the left, new one on the right:
Ignore the dusty powder type coating on the new one.

As you can see the new one is quite a bit taller than the one that was removed and on the original one the 'cone' that sticks out is metal where on the new one it seems to be coated in rubber.

A view from above, the original mounts bearing top surface is about 2mm closer to the top of the mounting, but this could be due to the rubber compressing over the years?

The new one has the following no on it: 811 412 355 C and is VW Audi Spain, original is 811 412 355 D and is BOGE, VW Audi Germany.

Could the differences just be due to 17 years of being on the car compressing the old one? Or were G40 ones originally different and have just been replaced by the standard one  ???

Am I worrying too much and should I just fit them and forget about it?  :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:49:33 pm by GSBellew »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Top Mounts
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:15:40 am »
vw may have superceded it to be honest

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:24:28 am »
probably a case of a slightly changed design over the years coupled with the original one being pretty worn and squashed through use.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 08:17:54 pm »
This is a supercession as Pete says; it's not G40 specific anymore, it's for all mk2/3's. It's a bit of an odd one though as when fitted the dished retaining plate now stands well clear of the bodywork and doesn't look too clever.

Offline GSBellew

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 08:55:07 pm »
Went into my local VW Dealer on my way home from work, they cross referenced the number on the original top mount on etka and it is a different part  ::)

They had one in stock, and its the same height as the one I took out.

Which leaves me with a dilemma, fitting the new standard ones, or fitting the ones which the original part number points to which presumably are the standard ones.

Strangely etka only lists the one type for all Polo's even though this one is available too, I wonder if an old copy of etka would shed any light on things  :-\

Offline GSBellew

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:29:32 pm »
This is a supercession as Pete says; it's not G40 specific anymore, it's for all mk2/3's. It's a bit of an odd one though as when fitted the dished retaining plate now stands well clear of the bodywork and doesn't look too clever.

Interesting, although would the lower profile one not leave the cap higher?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 09:30:58 pm »
hmmm, it might be old stock... they might only be able to get one...

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 10:11:06 pm »
Which maunfacturer do GSF use these days? I got some from them a few years ago and seem to be up to the job. The top plates still fitted nicely into the chassis turrets as well.

Offline GSBellew

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:51:30 pm »
hmmm, it might be old stock... they might only be able to get one...

Hmmm, part number is showing as current, although its changed a few times, but its still on etka for other cars, so either they changed numbers and didn't bother updating the listing for the G40 or mine has top mounts for something else fitted.

Anyone have an old copy of etka that might still have the number listed or anyone know for certain that G40's had different top mounts?

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 11:04:12 pm »
i'd fit new ones mate, i have had no problems with mine since i fitted them

Offline GSBellew

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 11:17:17 pm »
I'm going to fit new ones, but I'm not sure now if I should just fit the higher ones, or get the ones that are the same as the ones on it originally?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 07:53:42 am »
Which maunfacturer do GSF use these days? I got some from them a few years ago and seem to be up to the job. The top plates still fitted nicely into the chassis turrets as well.

gsf ones you used to get were FEBI, which are good. Now they are cheapo ones I beleive, i looked at them and said hmmm no. and got oem

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 01:27:10 pm »
Febi were the ones i got from GSF, couldn't quite remember.

Looking on the ECP website they do stock two top mount manufactuers. The dearer of the two is by SKF who used to supply some OE bearings to VAG.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 10:12:24 pm »

Interesting, although would the lower profile one not leave the cap higher?

The bearing plate sits higher up in the new mount, closer to the top of the turret, hence the odd look.

Offline GSBellew

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 12:08:15 am »
Well the new mounts arrived in, I'm not sure if they will work though, as even though they are a replacement for the original part number the design has changed a little.

The hole in the bearing is a slightly larger diameter than the original which would leave less metal for the strut to clamp on to which would not be ideal.

New on the left, old in the middle and new equivalent on the right.

New one above, original below:

New above again, old below:

I might just use the new taller polo ones for the minute and keep looking into the other ones out of curiosity.