Author Topic: Brake/steering Judder  (Read 3517 times)

Offline dboy

• Members
Brake/steering Judder
« on: June 17, 2009, 10:23:06 am »
i've just bought a polo gt, and the guy i bought it off said it had some G40 discs and green stuff pads

anyway, i've noticed that under gentle braking, the steering tends to judder

if you stomp on the brakes, this doesnt occur

just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar? the discs dont looked warped, although i havent had the wheels off to properly check

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
Re: Brake/steering Judder
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 10:44:20 am »
GT? This is polog40.co.uk!!  :D On a serious note just because the discs dont look warped doesnt mean they arent.  Get a flat edge to them and have a look. If it has G40 discs they will be vented. Sounds to me to be something loose or maybe worn. Are all the wheel/caliper/steering rack etc bolts tight? Have a good check over it and see what you can find...

Offline dboy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 12:39:05 pm »
cheers "jez1272g40", lol

to be fair i used to own a g40, but i bought a gt because im hoping it will be more reliable than the old g-wagon! saying that, the gt hasnt proved its worth yet!  :)

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 03:26:05 pm »
Have a look at the anti roll bar bushes to see if they have worn. If not see if the steering and track arms are good. I assume your tracking is spot on and your wheels balanced ?

Offline dboy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 04:34:37 pm »
it seems to go in a straight line, ill check those things outon saturday when i can get it in the air, thats if i can get the ramp legs under  :-\

are the g40 and gt calipers different? is the only diff between the gt and g40 discs the size? im assumming there slightly bigger for the g?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 05:08:44 pm »
calipers are different.  The discs are the same size but g40 ones are vented (hence thicker).

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 06:33:34 pm »
Have a look at the anti roll bar bushes to see if they have worn. If not see if the steering and track arms are good. I assume your tracking is spot on and your wheels balanced ?

I vote for the anti roll bar bushes being worn; look for shiny areas each side of the bush where the bar is moving side to side. I had the same issue and new bushes sorted it. Powerflex ones are best.

Offline dboy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 10:05:54 pm »
is it a ballache of a job to do? how much did the powerflex bushes set you back?

Offline dboy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 12:55:04 pm »
this was caused by air in the brake lines, seems to be sorted now