Author Topic: Leaking Fuel Pump(which is correct replacement?)  (Read 6318 times)

Offline G-spot

• Members
Leaking Fuel Pump(which is correct replacement?)
« on: July 14, 2009, 12:23:13 pm »
Right, I've got fuel leakiong through the corroded wall of my original fuel pump under the car, so decided now is a good time to replace it!!

Anyway, I've been shopping around, VAG want £180, GSF can no longer supply apparently(??).
Now unusually Halfrauds are offering me an 'Intermotor' branded pump which is listed as NZ not PY on there system, but it comes in at a £61 (trade price), but not sure if they are suitible.  VagCat shows the part number for the NZ and PY the same, so I'm kinda thinking on the lines that they are both using the same High Pressure fuel rail set-up(3bar) so there should not be any issues.

Would like some of your thoughs on this please??

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Leaking Fuel Pump(which is correct replacement?)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 12:28:46 pm »
hmmmm NZ Should be the same part.. but who knows if they are...

I'd rather go to vw or bosch and pay the extra £30-40 for piece of mind

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 12:56:40 pm »
Have you tried ECP?  I seem to recall they were best last time I bought one.  I wouldn't trust the one from Halfords, you'll find out it's the wrong one right when you melt a piston.

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:39:50 pm »
Just spoke with ECP and they quoted £29.95 (plus VAT) saying its just a standard fuel pump?? I'm not convinced they had the right bit to be honest....

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 01:43:44 pm »
that'll be the lift pump i imagine.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 02:26:08 pm »
according to their website it should be £129.95

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 03:14:38 pm »
Yeah ECP do stock the MPI fuel pump, i got one there last year when GSF stopped doing them. Genuine Bosche pump from Czech Republic.

ECP part number 441 44 0190

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:17:21 pm by Nick_S »

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 11:09:59 pm »
Cheers for your feedback guys' I'm gonna follow up in the morning and get it ordered as despite my emergancy efforts to seal it up it was dripping like dripping thing tonight when I got home.
Should have taken the bike to work really but heavy rain and 2 wheels ain't always the best of combinations!!

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 10:03:59 pm »
Now have new Bosch pump, Part Number 0 580 453 918. Believe its the correct one, but too many miss quotes worry me that its not the right one, does anyone have a link to a site or PDF file giving pump flow rates/pressures for different part numbers (like this one for injectors http://www.injectorcleaning.co.uk/flow.htm)

Offline Phil

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 03:26:37 pm »
Dont suppose anyone knows if they changed the pump for late spec cars? The plug and pump are different on the L reg...

Part number on the L reg pump is 867 906 091 a which is what etka lists minus the a on the end (Bosch number is 0580 453 971) and it has a different plug to all the other GT/G40 fuel pumps I've got about which all have 191 906 096 d and randomly the Mk3 saloon had as well, even though it was an spi. Can only assume its due to some/most saloons coming with the NZ lump?

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 05:25:41 pm »
Late-spec cars had different connectors on the pumps - Henry had the same issue on his L-reg G40.

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 10:54:31 pm »
Just to put closure on this one, I fitted the Bosch pump I had above without any problems, and on cleaning up with a wire brush I established that it is the same part number as on the OE one I removed which had both the VAG and Bosch part number on it.
I'm happy cos it cost me half the price of any other pump I made enquiries about.

Cheers for all the advice on this one!!

;D

Offline type-r-dunk

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 12:26:54 am »
Hi
I did a full service (inc fuel filter) on my new G40 today and seems now the fuel pump has started leaking. Can anyone please confirm which of the above part numbers is for my L reg 40?
Many thanks Duncan